Wachbattallion Grossdeutschland straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wachbattallion Grossdeutschland straps

Dear collectors, I recently aquired a very nice set of officers straps from Wachbatallion/regiment Grossdeutschland. does anyone have an idea to what the numbers refer to? The Wachbatallion and later regiment, as far as I could find, never had subordinate units numbering that high. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Erik
    Attached Files

x

x
    Attached Files

Comment

Wachtruppe

I have never seen the "W" (Wachtruppe) cypher worn in combination with a number in either embroidered or metal form; this, this holds true for photographs as well. That being said, the boards, the boards look to be original. Perhaps other know of photographic evidence of the combo cypher/number.

Here is an interesting snippet, from a Wikipedia article, about the Wachtruppe:

"The Wachtruppe comprised seven companies, each drawn from one of the seven divisions permitted Germany by the treaty. Each company served for three months before returning to their parent division. In this way, the Wachtruppe represented the whole Reichswehr"

Comment

The shoulder boards may have more to do with the 19. Infantry/grenadier regiment than the Berlin/GD Wachregiment...but if so, it does not explain the Gothic "W". Just a thought.
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

I like the looks of these straps but like the others feel they have nothing to do with Wach Btn./Rgt. Berlin. This device is smaller than the Wachbataillon device. They could be for something like Grenate Werfer Bataillon 19.
          Last edited by OSS; 08-05-2016, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Very interesting observations gentlemen, thank you! Food for thought...

Erik

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X