CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collar tab Heer SturmGesch./ AG for review, opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collar tab Heer SturmGesch./ AG for review, opinions please...

The use of the less common basket weave piping combined with the type of prongs on the skulls raise doubts about the originality of these tabs...
    Attached Files

reverse..
    Attached Files

Comment

I believe the tabs are reproductions and are later additions to the heavily worn collar.

Comment

I agree with OSS;
        Repros that would fool few collectors who have even a very basic
        knowledge of StuG tabs.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, my opinion as well, that is all I needed to know.

Comment

Looks like a Luftwaffe AG wrapper to me https://www.therupturedduck.com/coll...lt-gunner-wrap ...I think some of these restoration artists don't know that Luftwaffe AG wrappers existed and rebadge them as Heer.

Glenn
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Death heads are vintage full alu repros .
              Tabs restored on the jacket but why not original ?
              Nick

Comment

Basket weave is accepted and known like original for late war boards,
                same IMO for collar tabs..

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=853138

Without to examine the back of these tabs, how can you determine
                the pair itself (I don't speak about the skulls) sewn on this wrap are fake ?

Comment

Originally posted by alexandre View Post
                  Basket weave is accepted and known like original for late war boards,
                  same IMO for collar tabs..

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=853138

Without to examine the back of these tabs, how can you determine
                  the pair itself (I don't speak about the skulls) sewn on this wrap are fake ?
                  I have never seen basket weave piping on an original Stug wrap. Is it possible? I suppose so. However I think you should, at the very least, be suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                    I have never seen basket weave piping on an original Stug wrap. Is it possible? I suppose so. However I think you should, at the very least, be suspicious.
                    I thought ro remember having seen the use on a period photo...I'll try to find it. Also Pritchett is mentioning the -rare- use in 'Feldjacke'.

The use of repro skulls on the subject ones in combination with basket weave is indeed something to be very suspicious about, but as is a known fact as well, post armistice removal of the skulls - as not to become associated with the SS - was commonly done, i.e. a post war replacement is not necessarily a red flag...

Comment

Here is a basket weave pair I still like..pretty similar to the FD/HG piped tabs
                      hoard found several years ago in Germany ..

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=tabs

Comment

Here is the photo I was referring to in my previous post; it appears to be basket weave?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pics, difficult to be sure, but it could be..

Comment

"post armistice removal of the skulls - as not to become associated with the SS - was commonly done" (Zauberflöte) - An interesting point that sounds quite plausible IMHO. I had a first hand account from a German Frundsberg veteran that upon capture in Normandy he was spared by Allied (Polish) troops because he was wearing camouflage only, whereas Heer Panzer troops were summarily executed in front of him because they wore black uniforms with skulls on and the Polish soldiers thought they were SS. In that 'atmosphere' I could see skulls being removed pretty quickly....

On the subject of the use of basket-weave piping, it appears to be used on the boards of this pre-war Waffenrock currently on sale on the E-stand (plug for the seller!).

Does anyone know when this piping was first used? Is it possible that it was in use pre-war or earlier, and with the late-war economy early war stocks were used again as an economy measure?

Regards, Paul
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
                              Here is the photo I was referring to in my previous post; it appears to be basket weave?
                              I think what we are seeing here is the textured photographic paper which is giving standard rayon piping the appearance of "basket weave piping". I have certainly handled original Panzer tunics with basket weave piped skull tabs and possibly there were Stug jackets with this piping as well, I've just never seen one. Most late examples have Russia braid. There are, however, many fakes made from this material.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X