Soldier pics help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldier pics help

I was sent some pics and would like to identify the rank and branch of service. Not the best quality pics but they are all I have. Thanks for any help.
    http://s10.photobucket.com/user/eccl...?sort=3&page=1

Originally posted by Rob W. View Post
    I was sent some pics and would like to identify the rank and branch of service. Not the best quality pics but they are all I have. Thanks for any help.
    http://s10.photobucket.com/user/eccl...?sort=3&page=1
    Appears to be a mountain troop major. Jim

Comment

Great! Thanks. We're still trying to figure out if there are any relics from this soldier or just the pics.

Comment

Bergfuehrer

This is a unique Foto via the aspect of the officer wearing the Bergführer badge on his right pocket. This was a rare award and heavily faked nowadays. With the officer's rank and that award, you might be able to identify him. As a Major, one would think he is at least a battalion commander. Here is a thread about the badge:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=77778

Comment

I am pretty sure I have seen pictures of this man before with the badge. Are you sure the prints are original?

Comment

I think this mountain officers bergmutze is real similar to the one he is wearing.

Glenn
            Attached Files
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I think he is a General staff officer actually. I am about 100% sure I have seen that photo before. Maybe in a unit history.

Comment

I don't know the origin of the pics but will try to find out. Supposedly they are from the grandfather of a lady cleaning out a storage area.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                  I think he is a General staff officer actually. I am about 100% sure I have seen that photo before. Maybe in a unit history.
                  Johnny is right! GS officer (still a mountain GJ officer it appears! ! The Bergführer badge was supposed top be worn on the LEFT pocket (along with the other awards!) but it is one. Found this image!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dietl and other soldiers are pictured wearing it on the right as well. Many times regulations were not followed especially when a General set an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                      Dietl and other soldiers are pictured wearing it on the right as well. Many times regulations were not followed especially when a General set an example.
                      True Dietl and some other exceptions did not follow the rule properly..and who is going to dare to question Dietl?
                      In the BW they did move their mountaineering qualification insignia to the right breast. This image from a 2015
                      BW Heeresbergführer-Lehrgang, but certainly not the norm in WW2! Image 2 shows another general doing it the right way!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X