Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armband inspection please

Good evening gentlemen,
    The following are 3 armbands I have come across. The main one of concern is the "Küsten Ost Wache" I've done several searches, in English and in German. I've found a few that return on several sites giving it a very high dollar value and I've found one return saying it is a fantasy armband. Here's what I know so far and hopefully the pictures I add will show. It's very clean, the embroidery is crooked on the "Küsten" on the reverse there is a felt like material attached to some of the letters, and the rear glows brightly under blacklight. In the defense of this armband, starting with the glow, I have a national war flag which has a slight glow in the mast area, it is an elastic type material in that area. I have also found it on this link on the German daggers website, they have it listed;
    http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/AB.php
    If someone knows whether it is repro or not please explain where they know it from, I'd like to learn facts.

Rear glowing next to sock.

Next up is a N.S.F.K. armband, which I feel 99.9% confident is original. This is a patch sewn on a heavy duty cotton. It looks like it has natural age. Reverse shows a yellow zig zag stitch pattern. The negative is the patch does have a slight glow. Maybe there were some things that glowed under black light in the old days? Here are some pictures;

Rear threads;

Lastly is a red cross armband. This one I'm 99.99% confident is original. Nothing glows. Reverse shows some loose threads around embroidery. Picture;

Thank you!
    -Robert
    Last edited by Hafke77; 12-22-2015, 09:58 PM.

The First two armbands are fake IMO.

The first is a fantasy piece.

I don't care for the materials used in the second band and
    may also be a fantasy piece.

Comment

Thank you for your response ETN, I strongly agree on the first, it just appears off to me. Where have you read it is a fantasy piece?
      Here is a close-up of the nsfk armband, it just seems the detail is really good, if it weren't for that slight glow. I would be ok with thinking it's original. None of the other stitching on the rear seam or top and bottom fold over glow.

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
        The First two armbands are fake IMO.

The first is a fantasy piece.

I don't care for the materials used in the second band and
        may also be a fantasy piece.
        I agree. First 2 are fantasy pieces. If you look at the police one, there is no reason for such an armband, because I believe this duty was covered by Wasserschutzpolizei. The NSFK has no logic to back it up, because NSFK men wore a party armband. The only other type I can see existing is for a flying event, where workers wore an armband to direct them as such. Those don't look like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kyles bullets View Post
          I agree. First 2 are fantasy pieces. If you look at the police one, there is no reason for such an armband, because I believe this duty was covered by Wasserschutzpolizei.
          And this one is also fantasy......

Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

Thanks Kyle and Ron!
            I have never seen that other one yet. I did some more research and found that link I posted with the armband guide apparently has a lot of these fantasy pieces. The guy who put it together said he had gone through it and deleted the fakes, but I still saw the coast watch band in there..... There is much to learn.. I should have known right when those pieces glowed, and I know that's not even a guarantee.
            Thanks again guys.
            -Robert

Comment

I believe wasserschutzpolizei would have their own uniform (some correct me if I'm wrong) thus why both armbands are fantasy here. That armband guide has a lot of fakes mixed in, and the owner wont remove them no matter how many times he has been told by many.

Comment

Right, I don't know what his deal is. I've found its hard enough the way it is to find authentic pieces, and it shouldn't be made harder by people you would hope would be straight up. Oh well learning process. Safest bet for me at this time seems to be keeping it simple and posting on this site for a consensus. All the experience here has helped quite a bit!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X