• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tunic

Not for my collection-

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
      I have seen this done often with Hauptmann's tunic as there was no room for the "B" with the number and two pips. You see that with "p" devices too. One thing I noticed is if you look closely at the shoulder straps the sun fading is not even at the base like the lower part of the boards were covered.
      here's the detail on the other board.

William Kramer
      Attached Files
      Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Are they sewn in tightly underneath or is the area under the board not sewn down and open?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          I almost never would say there is consensus with this stuff Nick, just good or the best fit. Unless you have a trail of cookie crumbs from historical papers or photos we never know for sure. Many of these were restored with boards that were available to collectors before unit information was available etc. It is very hard to know for sure.
          True I agree nothing is for sure without rock solid provenance!
          Rephrasing: consensus that it is a possibility...provided its all originally applied to the tunic, which it seems to be. It is unnamed, so who knows...?
          Still a killer uniform!

Comment

one can see where the belt has been on it....the shadow starts just above the lowest button.

But then those belt hooks doesnt make sense.. as they are much higher than the shadow.

Also, it appears that the tunic did have a cufftitle......as it is gabardine its very hard to see when u have it in hands, and most of the shadows comes out on photos better.

The eagle is restored and most probably the krim too.......remove the eagle and take another shot.

interesting.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
              It has scalloped pockets because it's remade with newly period added officers pockets. It is a modified M43 because of the material as already stated. Post Italian surrender wool...post September 1943. This makes it easy to date these things...but I agree M42 models were also still being made in 1943 using Italian wool...

Its is Also depotstamped M44...so def an m43

I would love to see an M42 tunic in italian gabardine if one exist, i dont think they were ever made.

//Daniel.

Comment

To be honest, I suspect the boards were added or restored as well. Officers usually did not wear belt ramps so I do not think the higher ghost is a problem. The way they are sewn in there they would not really support too much of a load.

Comment

additional photos
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for reacting to this 'dead' thread, But can we conclude it has been modified in the war, of that is has been done post- war?
                      Thanks !
                      Greetings Nathan

Comment

Probably post war and some poor guy just paid way too much for it on estand.

Comment

Thanks alot for your response

Comment

This is an issue M43 that has been modified for field wear by an officer with the added cuffs etc. I cannot tell you when the insignia was added or restored but the tunic appears to be a nice modified jacket for front line field wear. It was common to modify the lining and remove the belt ramp supports to make the jacket more comfortable to wear.

The tunics like this one that typically are the kind actually used in combat were very different in appearance than the finely tailored service tunics that represent most of the clothing that survived the war. Many of those jackets were not worn in the field where clothing was destroyed and damaged quickly. The combat worn clothing was thrown away at the end of the War or worn out as POWs and most does not survive.

With the original doe skin officers overseas hat, the belt, Krim shield, map case and original awards I would say somebody got a very good deal for 1000.

Comment

Ofcourse, forgot the rest of the stuff

Comment

Yes, 1000 for just the tunic restored is expensive but with all the other stuff it was a fair price even if it has some issues. Someone added the belt ramps. It probably was not worn with them by an officer. They would cut the supports out so it was more comfortable to wear the pistol belt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X