Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German General's White Summer Tunic - Opinions, Please

Hello, All -

A few months back I posted a query about a general's white summer tunic with painted buttons (http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...al+Buttons+Don). The seller and I finally reached an agreement on price and I have it in hand now for inspection. I would appreciate anyone's informed opinions on the tunic. Please note that the tunic did not come with shoulderboards - I have added a pair of General der Infantry boards to show the fit. The buttons are, indeed, enameled metal and look to be about the same as your run of the mill tunic buttons.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DonC; 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM.

More pics. I am pretty sure the tunic has been laundered post-war, but there is no glow.
    Attached Files

Comment

A
      Attached Files

Comment

The shoulders are padded, which makes it difficult to get a good shot of the interior of the shoulder board seam:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DonC; 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Ss
          Attached Files

Comment

I like the look of the jacket and it's no doubt period. As you are aware it only takes a few minutes to switch out the buttons and find a kriegs eagle for it to be a "generals". So I'm hoping price is around a standard jacket and not much more. That said it looks damn nice. Matt

Comment

I have one for a General der Infantrie and it is identical to what you would see worn by a Lt. As Matt noted they are all the same aside from the special insignia for the higher ranks and buttons.

Comment

Thanks, guys -

Yes, I spent about seven months on the whole "sum of its parts" theme before the seller seemed to realize that I really DID know what I was talking about . I can't find anything wrong with it other than it did not come with the boards.

Don

Comment

Don, you have a standard New Style Officer's White tunic.

These white tunics can be found in a variety of materials, ranging from quite rough cloth to very fine cloth, and occasionally in light wool.

Your tunic looks to be made of a heavy, waffle-pattern cloth, typical of General Officers who could afford it. And as others have stated, this same quality tunic could be and often is found for Company grade and Field grade Officers.

Comment

Don I would not pay for that tunic more as for each parts.
                    A white summer heer tunic is often to find and is around $450 worth.
                    Eagle and Buttons are not hard to find. Very hard to find are the general officer boars with base for the summer tunic.

Hope you don't pay much for the tunic.

Cheers,
                    steiner99

Comment

A nice pair like this single board from Weitze.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Steiner. I have never been accused of paying too much for my items, which means that occasionally I miss out on some really nice stuff! Or, in this case, it took some seriously long drawn out negotiations between the seller, his son, and myself. I told them about four months ago I wasn't interested at their asking price, made a fair sum of its parts offer, and left it at that. Last week the son contacted me out of the blue and said they'd accept my offer. Life is funny like that sometimes.

I think the board on Weitze' site may have originally been a slip-on that had the Stegen attached later, judging form the sew job at the base.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X