Gebirgsjäger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger

Wie gehts to all were the Gebirgsjäger issued knee length pants and there own type of socks. Thank you. Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes - and no. It all depends upon the time period that you are concerned with.

During the period of 1919-33, the issue trousers were knee-length. These were carried over from the war period, when it was popular in many Armies to wear that style. This pattern is described as being identical to the mounted breeches, to include the leather in the seat, with the addition of leather on the knees. I really don't know what sock they wore with these, the outer layer was (as we say in English) puttees. The German term was Wickelgamaschen. They were also issued knee-length stocking, but I believe that these were the type without a foot portion (just a stirrup) and I also believe that there were intended to be worn over other stocking or puttees for the purpose of extra warmth.

But by 1935 or 36, the new issue was trousers that reached all the way to the ankle. These are generically called Keilhose and were in fashion at the time for skiers. These have the little tapes and stirrup to pull the trousers tight under the foot and around the ankle, and would later be adopted on the standard issue trousers in 1943. This also eliminated the need for long puttees so they started to issue sorter ones that would only cover/seal the ankle area. The over-socks (Überstrümpfe) continued to be listed in the Soldbuch.

By the way, another issue trouser of the time had a different ankle closure. Instead of the stirrup and tapes, this had a small leather strap that went around the ankle and buckled. The opening was otherwise the same. There is some disagreement whether these were “issue” or “purchased” trousers, but I’ve seen enough photos of regular Jäger, milling around camp, with these type, so I’m thinking that they were also issue. To my knowledge, there are no official documents that differentiate these two types.

Many old-time mountaineers continued to wear their knee-length trousers, puttees and knee-length stockings well into the war years. These do not look like the issue trousers described, so they were probably private purchase, which was not unusual in the Mountain Service. Remember that along with the thousands of men that were enlisted like any infantryman, the Gebirgstruppen also included a lot of true Mountaineers who placed a high priority to their clothing, equipment and (yes) looking good.

I hope this addressed you question.

-Matt

Comment

Hi Matt thank you very much. Do you know of any regular Berghose for sale.Brian

Comment

Originally posted by GEBIRGS-JAGER View Post
        Do you know of any regular Berghose for sale.Brian

Hi Brian. I presume you mean original Berghosen as opposed to reproductions. The originals are few and far between. I haven't seen any lately, but I haven't been looking.

-Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X