No announcement yet.

Dak ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey yeah Dave 2 more nice ones! The 2nd appears to be Italian made,,any markings in the band?,,or maybe a tiny vent hole?

Comment

Just a word of caution....

I would exercise caution with buying AK rings, as I know of a man online from israel who sells and has arabs faking these to the lettter and must have one hundred and twenty or more different types, as AK rings are the largest of the faked PP rings out there,so go ahead , and buy em but I will never own one of these unless it comes directly from a vets estate....so...without provenance from a veteran, they are interesting, but not anything I would want in my collection...they have been faking these rings for 65 years, so collect AK stuff, but be careful of the rings, as they all appear old and worn, and there is no way to prove an original without that provenance..... looks jus't dont cut it with me on AK rings,My mottoe for pp rings : It has to have the "P" or you can forget trying to sell it to me....If they were ten or twenty dollars THATS FINE but they always want 150 to 350.(range)

Comment

yes you are correct!
        There are many collectors and ring collectors that will not touch these type rings. Called 'Campaign rings',,usually made in the specific theater of war. Not only DAK, but the Krim, Iran,France,Italian,Greek and others.

As far as reproducing them the same,,well gold is very high lately [silver too!] and yes the it is a tiny amount and mixed with copper the DAK types usually aren't cost effective to reproduce unless they're going to get a lot for them. $300 range is way to much to pay for this type in my opinion.

Skilled experienced collectors of these type rings know what to look for,,the plating, muti piece, specific type tooling, enameling on some, and hand work....,,and yes they are copied,, like everything else..

Comment

Dave,

nice rings man! Here are a few of mine, im going to be thinning the heard a little bit to help drum up some funds for a upcoming purchase. I wish I could keep it all but I just can't do it... need to become a multimillionaire. I love all the little variations that you can find with these rings. Matt
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
            I would exercise caution with buying AK rings, as I know of a man online from israel who sells and has arabs faking these to the lettter and must have one hundred and twenty or more different types, as AK rings are the largest of the faked PP rings out there,so go ahead , and buy em but I will never own one of these unless it comes directly from a vets estate....so...without provenance from a veteran, they are interesting, but not anything I would want in my collection...they have been faking these rings for 65 years, so collect AK stuff, but be careful of the rings, as they all appear old and worn, and there is no way to prove an original without that provenance..... looks jus't dont cut it with me on AK rings,My mottoe for pp rings : It has to have the "P" or you can forget trying to sell it to me....If they were ten or twenty dollars THATS FINE but they always want 150 to 350.(range)
            Agree, more than just a bit of caution is needed with these....and a bit of faith.

Comment

Lovely collection there Matt thanks for showing , I agree caution is needed and I di try where possible to get from vets families or indirect , the first one I posted was from bill shea he said it was indirect vet purchase , the next I got myself direct from vets daughter which was a Tobruk bring back , the last two I got from a member here who if I remember correctly he got them both from same vet , I love the variations in these rings , thanks again guys rgds Dave

Comment

Dave,

your collection is really coming up! I like these rings a lot and have put quite a bit of time into studying they and researching them as much as I could. I know they are not for everyone and they can get very expensive. That said, if you look at period photos you can clearly see they were popular with the troops.
                There will always be those folks who avoid all the non standard stuff as it does require a little faith to accept that Soldiers did do things against regulations. They did buy stuff like this and that these ring like momentous were really popular. Hell look at all the variations in skull rings. Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X