Snow uniform ID armbands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow uniform ID armbands

Does anybody seen one of these in person? I have seen 3 of them and all were red. The link has one posted in WAF, one sold on the collectors guild for around $700 a while ago I believe and I saw this one on an auction website in 2011 sell for $45 which was a steal! I have heard they come in other colors besides black and red because black is on the inside. Is this true? All 3 seemed to be the same quality and the ink seems similar...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=odd+armband
    Attached Files

This is the example I have had for a number of years. Though I recognized it as a snow suit ID, I always wondered about the "Wehrmacht" stamping. I suspect that surplus bands were reissued as Volksturm armbands. I believe the snow suit bands only came red reversible to black:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
      This is the example I have had for a number of years. Though I recognized it as a snow suit ID, I always wondered about the "Wehrmacht" stamping. I suspect that surplus bands were reissued as Volksturm armbands. I believe the snow suit bands only came red reversible to black:
      My guess with that volkssturm as well. All I know if that someone got a good deal! Were all of them suppost to be stamped where they said wehrmacht because the one on the collectors guild website didn't have any stamping on it so I was thinking it was unissued?? They also seem to have an ink stamp almost all the time. Is any of the stamp legible?

Comment

Originally posted by kyles bullets View Post
        Is any of the stamp legible?
        Can't make out the first part but the last bit is "Wehrkreiss VI". This would fit with Volksturm.

Comment

Thanks for the information about the stamp. I wonder why they weren't a popular item to bring back as they must have been common in the Battle of the Bulge. Probably because they lack a swastika.....

Comment

Servus Kameraden,

Here's a set that I have in my collection:

I'll have to dig them up, but I don't think my set has any stamps on them.

Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

These bands were originally implemented to avoid casualties resulting from friendly fire, as the Soviets also used white snow suits and distinguishing friend from foe in winter conditions proved nearly impossible. The issue bands would not be stamped, but the reissue bands intending to confer militia status under the Geneva Convention to combatants who might otherwise be in civilian clothing, would generally have the stamp of the issuing authority.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X