Getting the dye out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the dye out

A few years ago I posted a very rare SS Panzer M-44 Tunic. Well...the consensus on the forum was that it wasn't. What it was, was a original M-44 tunic dyed black after the war in accordance with new regulations so that a military garment could be used in civilian life. Someone then applied SS insignia and the thing was passed to me. Thankfully, the applied eagle, tabs and boards were original so I think I came out about even in the trade.

I followed with great interest DJPOOL's [thanks Jim] recent thread about his Cossack tunic which also had post WW2 applied black dye. I didn't think it would be possible to remove dye, especially dye that's been applied over 50 years ago. Since the tunic I possessed was going to have all SS insignia removed, I thought I would be a good candidate for dye removal/restoration. If the thing turned yellow, I could always re-apply black dye.

This is how the tunic came to me [minus boards and tabs]

The dye remover is Carbona Color Run Remover. I bought some on ebay but think it's available in many stores. I removed the eagle which was a royal pain since it was over sewn and black on black.

I followed the directions on the box but found them lacking in detail. I used warm tap water, dissolved the box in a 5 gallon bucket and put the tunic in. Almost immediately I could see dye coming off. It smells bad so I took the bucket into the garage. I moved the tunic around in the bucket to make sure the dye remover got thru the whole tunic. I let it soak for 30 minutes. I then rinsed it out in the sink but the rinse water was dark so I kept rinsing it [probably 6-7 times]. I then laid it out to air dry.

Two days of drying, and this is what I had.

Comment

There was no evidence that the SS eagle was on the sleeve originally. There is also no sign that there was ever an Heer eagle on the breast. Maybe one was there but I can't see it. I can see evidence that there was a cuff title but it was removed prior to my possession. I'm happy with the results and think more dye could come out with another soak but I worry about harming the tunic.

Comment

Comment

brilliant thread, fantastic job, great tip. congrats on your new field grey m44. nice size too.

Comment

Great improvement!

Comment

Great job on the dye removal!

Finally a used m44 tunic again! Love it!

Comment

Wow that turned out great! Now I wish I bought those 2 Para smocks that I was offered about 20 years ago. I know Bill Petz will remember them. Jim

Comment

Wow

Wow... I would have bet that this would have "almost worked". Never would I have thought this would be your end result. Truly amazing.

Comment

I have used RIT color remover as well and it does not smell as bad.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAQ

Comment

oh dont kill me ..... please!!!! i have sold a nice dyed black m43 SS tunic for 200 euro,becose i was sure i will never get the black dye out. eh,,,,,,,
                      congrats for your new nice looking m44!

Comment

Dyed black and undyed unissued M44 tunics without insignia were given to German prisoners after the War, I have seen photos of them in wear.

Comment

Wow great results. The 2nd one rescued! OK I am convinced now it's worth a shot and I will be taking the plunge, treating my M40 officers upgrade dyed black tunic soon! This is the one that I had exotically restored to a Black Terek Cossack impression. A little over the top for many...but no more! Stay tuned updates to follow! Can't way to see the results, hoping to duplicate what we've witnessed here!
                          Spectacular this M44 rescue! Well done!

Comment

Magical stuff

Comment

Wow what a result, well done

I asked the clothing curator in the museum about this. He said it could work nicely with 1940's type dyes but 1960 & 70's dyes are a different story when fixers that could not run were introduced. The high tech dyes of the 1990's onwards give dense non-removable coverage that is almost impossible to reverse.

He also said, it would depend on the original field grey dye used and the make up of the material. 80 to 100% wool often shrinks. A tunic made in 1939 could shrink/ warp but one made in 1944 with far less wool may not.

Sometime all the dyes come out producing a muddy off white result.

Basically not all garmets respond in exactly the same way but this one has come out excellent. I would be tempted to give it one more treatment and leave it at that. To be sure you got all of the black out,

Thanks for posting,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X