WW2 German greatcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 German greatcoats

Season's Greetings to all of you. I live in Los Angeles and there is a business called Western Costume that provides all sorts of clothing for films. Once a year there is a clearance sale and this year I bought a variety of US and German uniforms. The US stuff was all aviation clothing and I got a nice complete set of flyer's clothing, wool jacket, pants, boots and headpiece. After a bit of research I was able to determine that they were in fact, original. The German stuff was Afrika Corps pants and jacket/shirts and the other was two green/brown (summer?) greatcoats. Inside the coats are stamped "mothimuned" with a serial number of some sort beneath it. The coats certainly look correct, many repairs and obvious signs of use. The buttons have all been replaced (oddly by buttons from the Connecticut Indian Wars) and have no insignia or traces thereof.

The Afrika Corps stuff met with skepticism when I posted it...

Last week I was invited to a party and met the owner of Western Costume so I asked him about the provenance of the German WW2 clothing. He said that most of it was shipped over to Los Angeles from Europe at the end of WW2, some farsighted costume designer/military attache had decided it would be a good idea to have lots of uniforms around for future movie use.

I would like to post photographs for the expert opinions I know I will get here. So, my question is, what specific spots of the clothing should I photograph that will help identifying them.

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology since the photo provided is definitely not like mine!
    Last edited by AUSGANG; 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM.

Greatcoats are pretty easy to authenticate. Overall front and back shots as well as photos of the lining should suffice as long as they are good photos. Shots of any markings would also be helpful.

Comment

Jacket 1
      Attached Files

Comment

A few interior shots, markings, the hem, under the collar...basically as many images as you'd like to share?
        Here's a couple of original standard tropical coats.
        Regards,
        Mark
        New Zealand
        Attached Files

Comment

Jacket 1b
          Attached Files

Comment

Jacket 1c The label is from the costume house
            Attached Files

Comment

Jacket 2
              Attached Files

Comment

Jacket 2c
                Attached Files

Comment

Jacket2 d
                  Attached Files

Comment

I believe that those pictures are good enough to determine that these garments are not of WWII German origin.

Comment

f
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ah so... Fun to wear out anyway... Thanks for the information, Chris.
                        Last edited by AUSGANG; 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Yes, these are not WWII garments. I remember when I was a kid, a dealer had gotten a hold of most or all of the tunics that were used in the film "Tobruk" they used some real items but most of it was modified US and other surplus.

I suspect there are some real ones mixed in with all of your holdings. I have a friend that was a VP at Sony and later Tristar. He told me after War people were sent to Europe from the studios to buy costumes and vehicles etc. That stuff all went somewhere.

Comment

These look made for the movies or TV, the straps remind me of "Combat".

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                              These look made for the movies or TV, the straps remind me of "Combat".
                              Lol, indeed, I remember those pizza size wreaths on the eagles too-

http://www.yourprops.com/MGM-Studio-...rop-21330.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X