Major board, but scaled down in size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major board, but scaled down in size

Not in hand yet but I bought this red backed Major rank single shoulderboard on estand which was described as possibly being
    a scaled down insignia for a salesman's board...Does that make sense?
    Is it a possibility?

Another theory (of mine) in case sales samples did not exist in miniature, perhaps its a downsized board for a
    TKS officer (Transpot Korps Speer).

In Angolia's NSKK book he states that their rank insignia for officers were 2/3 the size of Army ones, stating:
    TKS officers ranks resembled those of the armed forces but with the shoulder straps only about 2/3 the width of their Army counterparts to emphasize the fact that TKS Fuhrer were not Army officers.

This board clearly has that narrower width...BUT is also considerably shorter... Still a possibility as a (non Wehrmacht) full size piece?
    Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I have 2/3 scale boards, eagles and collar tabs that were used by Army Officers. I have had tunics for officers that fit on American 10 year old boys and these usually have smaller size insignia but boards usually are the normal width. Yours looks very small and there were indeed salesman's samples and it looks like you board was glued to something like a display board.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Nick,

I think the 'salesman's sample board' theory is probably the strongest contender for your artillerie major's board. Or maybe a military tailor made a whole bunch of scaled-down shoulder boards to make an attractive and eye-catching display in his window. It might even have been made for a child's miniature uniform (which you do see in period photos, and which obviously had a novelty value at the time).

Whatever the case, the quality and construction look entirely consistent with full-size examples (nicer, in fact, that some you'll see), and you see so few of these scaled-down boards that I don't think they have attracted the attention of fakers very much. We may never know 100% for sure what the board was intended for, but it looks 100% 'period' to me, and it makes a great addition (and talking point) for any shoulder-board collection. Congratulations on the purchase!

All the best,

Mark

Comment

More tiny people boards....

Here is a set of Lt. Col Boards, as compared to a "regular" sized Captain.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, those are like mine. I think they were used by smaller people. I have seen 2/3 size tabs as well on very small tunics.

Comment

Another smaller board.......

Attached Files
            RonR

Comment

And as Johnny mentioned, a set for a smaller person perhaps?

Custom (homemade) made for sure............

Attached Files
              RonR

Comment

Attached Files
                RonR

Comment

So.........

Never mind.....just answered the question lol.

Comment

Very cool. This turned into a neat thread!! Here a small size KM coastal trooper!
                    His jack boots look like tall riding boots and rifle could touch the breast eagle!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 11-24-2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

They were not all supermen!............

Attached Files
                      RonR

Comment

Attached Files
                        RonR

Comment

---
                          Attached Files
                          RonR

Comment

Here an example from the LW for a small sized NCO!
                            (image found on the web...)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X