Waffen-SS vs. Army M40 Tunics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS vs. Army M40 Tunics

We are intrigued by the research we are doing in the SS Forum on pattern differences between Army and SS M40 tunics:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=554423

So if anyone has an Army M40 tunic (or just a picture of it) with the so-called "two-angle" lining like on the picture below (marked "SS") could you please post it here or in the SS forum thread?

Thank you in advance and happy collecting!

in my opionion this is absurd theory,hey ,i have one m40 SS ,but to be honest i dont need to check it inside,as is on display.

Comment

So far it has not been absurd..it could prove to be..but time will tell.

Comment

I agree this could be correct. Also checked on some combat polizei tunics linings and guess what same 2 fold lining...
        Anybody with this design in their WH tunics? PLSE SHOW!
        kapitein

Comment

So far nobody has been able to prove the contrary. All of the "SS Contract/Made" Tunics have followed the theory. The few "SS" tunics with "Heer" style lining were originally Heer tunics issued to people in the SS.

Comment

As far as I understand patterns and panel templates were sent out after design and approval to manufacturers from the SS so this makes sense that they would all tow the line. For mass production there would be template patterns in set sizes for panels etc. for both linings and jacket pieces (panels etc.). I have not dug into my tunics out but I suspect this is correct. There may have been some slight variations but probably not a lot especially early. N160 knows what he is talking about regarding tunics I can say that. Uniform Markt might have something in it on this.
            Last edited by Johnny R; 11-20-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Besslein
              Plse do us a favour and check the lining of your M40 WSS tunic and get back to us, I think you will be surprised!
              Looking forward to your answer and pics !
              kapitein

Comment

Okay, all of my early Heer issue tunics are the same as the picture describing the three angle cut. I still suspect there will be a couple enigmas out there. The SS also received items from outside the camp system. This does not "disprove" the observation but there might be some variations.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitein View Post
                  Hi Besslein
                  Plse do us a favour and check the lining of your M40 WSS tunic and get back to us, I think you will be surprised!
                  Looking forward to your answer and pics !
                  kapitein
                  I bet he has already checked his tunic and it is just the "Army" lining, that's why he refused to believe and called it "absurd theory". But that's OK as we don't need to see SS tunics in this thread or hear opinions about it because the only purpose of this thread is to find a picture of the Army M40 tunic with the "two-angle/SS" lining - Army M40 tunic, not SS. But I am pretty much sure they do not exist because I probably went through all archived threads about the Army M40 tunics - none of them has this "SS-cut" lining.

Comment

No one?

Comment

To all owners of a M40 WH badged tunics!

To all owners of a M40 WH badged tunics!

Please check in your collection if you can find an originally badged WH tunic with the 2 fold liner cut as pictured on the right of post 1 in this thread.

We are investigating an interesting theory and would like to learn if its true that the M40 jackets contracted through WSS have a different cut liner!
                      So far this theory is holding (ss is 2 fold?) but are there any WH jackets with this specification out there somewhere? We cant find any so far...is this proof?
                      We do know that many former salvaged WH jackets (3 fold liner) were re-supplied to the WSS and still showing traces of WH breast eagle thats not the issue here.

Please help and check for us and post your findings

Thanks
                      Kapitein

Comment

I also posted this in the other thread:

Last night I went through a couple dozen issue Heer pre-'42 blouses. Each and every example exhibited the three angle cut to the lining components as has been discussed. Out of the lot, and there were many differences between the group, there was only one (a true Heer M40) that was cut similarly to the Waffen SS pattern - see below. But it too had the three angles, although the effect was quite subtle in this case (only).
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would like to see a side by side comparison of a heer and an SS tunic, made the same year, by the same manufacturer. I think that would help settle the matter.

I have original SS tunics in both types of lining cuts.

Bob Hritz
                          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post
                            in my opionion this is absurd theory,hey ,i have one m40 SS ,but to be honest i dont need to check it inside,as is on display.
                            I think so too...

The only thing this will bring to the market is more stripped heer tunics rebadged as ss..

I hope im wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                              I think so too...

The only thing this will bring to the market is more stripped heer tunics rebadged as ss..

I hope im wrong.
                              I think you are wrong Daniel, the development will be in fact just the other way around. It will become more difficult to claim that an alleged Heer tunic is genuine SS since if this theory proves indeed to be true, then there are specific characteristics that will likely make it a SS produced tunic. In other words, there comes more to it then only to check whether it once had a breast eagle or not.

I can therefore imagine that many among us with '3-angle SS tunics' in their possession (that of course can still be legitimate), will somehow reluctantly follow this discussion...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X