Assault gunner cut off for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assault gunner cut off for review

Ok, knowledgable people please chime in! Here's a cut off that is very interesting. The original garment seems to have been a custom tailor HBT wrap. It's much higher quality than the issue piece and the color is more grey than green. The collar is constructed of 3 layers of HBT and the workmanship is beautiful. The tab seems right. The piping is the proper artificial rayon and it's correct. The wear on the tab is greater than on the HBT so I am thinking it was taken off a worn out piece and put on this new wrap he had made. That's what I think... let's hear what you think.

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

more
      Attached Files

Comment

To begin with, the HBT material itself is not original IM0.
        The rayon piping is correct, but this type of tab is considered like assembled recently from original materials (see a recent thread about PZ/stug tabs)
        IMO, a recent creation...

Comment

I know that thread.... I started it!

It's a bad thing for the hobby if now we are looking at all tabs made of original materials and constructed properly and saying they are probably fake. We need a better litmus test than that.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandre View Post
            To begin with, the HBT material itself is not original IM0.
            The rayon piping is correct, but this type of tab is considered like assembled recently from original materials (see a recent thread about PZ/stug tabs)
            IMO, a recent creation...

I agree,an obvious fake cut-off. (both tab and collar)

Glenn
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

About this cut off, no worries, the HBT itself condamn the piece without doubt.
              Concerning the tabs, it's more complicated...
              The original rayon until now was very difficult to find and at first glance, many collectors could consider those like guenine .
              We have maybe here some classical early tabs with backing and someones seems to have added rayon piping..
              the big question is when?
              The fact all these tabs have the piping joined out of the corner is still disturbing.

Comment

I think somebody should start a thread posting detailed pictures of unquestionable tabs so we can all protect ourselves.

Comment

Anything wrong with this?

http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/images/093u6-3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sonderverband View Post
                    I know that thread.... I started it!

It's a bad thing for the hobby if now we are looking at all tabs made of original materials and constructed properly and saying they are probably fake. We need a better litmus test than that.
                    That is at least not what I am doing? Nor intended to suggest with the other thread. I hope that is not what people thought I was saying.

There are of course real examples but most of the examples for rare piping collars IMO are going to be copies.

All tabs need to be examined individually and compared to both known originals and known fakes.

The pair of "cut-offs" are pretty much exactly what you see often now, the fake HBT is used to hide the backings which are the most obvious location to see potential problems. Note the effort gone to in marketing these. $$$$ it is now worth their time to make more elaborate junk.

Comment

As requested...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X