Body Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Fettes View Post
    By looking at the repeat on the camo pattern. The first item is too long. As for the items being of the same construction, I disagree, just because it looks like one does not mean it is.

As for this apron and the one from the link not being of the same construction....
    both have the same Sumpfmuster 43 camouflage scene
    both have a white lining which is not sewn to the camo cloth at the bottom
    both are assembled with white threads
    both have the same round head opening
    both have two pairs of camo strings for the side closure
    Apparently the only "big" difference is the length....but does this make the shorter a wartime item and the longer one a postwar item ?
    Sorry but i have the weakness to believe that the answer to my question is NO. They're both wartime or both postwar as they're basically the same...

If this garment was available in two or three sizes, it would have an influence on the length of the item, don't you think ?
    I use to own an unlined body apron. Its length was between both aprons shown in this thread...
    Let's wait...

Comment

Originally posted by JPhilip View Post
      As for this apron and the one from the link not being of the same construction....
      both have the same Sumpfmuster 43 camouflage scene
      Are you sure?

both have a white lining which is not sewn to the camo cloth at the bottom
      How can you tell, the poster did not show a photo of the bottom of the apron.

both are assembled with white threads
      Agree

both have the same round head opening
      So it appears.

both have two pairs of camo strings for the side closure
      So it appears.

If this garment was available in two or three sizes, it would have an influence on the length of the item, don't you think ?
      It was last ditch and IMO was made in one size only. You do not get different sizes of zeltbahn.

I use to own an unlined body apron. Its length was between both aprons shown in this thread...
      I would be happier with an unlined apron.

Let's wait...
      I am 100% with you there.

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks everybody for your answers.
        Sorry but my english understanding is not very good.
        This body apron has been found with material indo-china and has been given to me by a friend .
        So no question of purchase or sale but just explanations.
        Best regards.
        Patrick.
        Last edited by Patatrac; 10-31-2010, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

Do you have better photographs of the apron?

Can you tell us the sizes of the apron?

Comment

Hello David,
            The size, On the basis of the collar to go to the bottom of the skirt 124cm
            width: 71, 72 cm
            And a new pics .

Comment

with these pic's I would say, not original

regards

Edwin

Comment

Salut Patrick,
                the reverse side seems a bit bizarre for me too.
                I would stay away from this, perhaps it would have been made for
                french colonial troops in indochina, though ?
                Cheers Pierre

Comment

Are you sure?

Well..a Sumpfmuster 43 is a Sumpfmuster 43 if i'm not mistaking, unless you also don't agree that both aprons present in this thread are made of Sumpfmuster 43 camo cloth...

How can you tell, the poster did not show a photo of the bottom of the apron

you can see the reverse of the camo cloth at the bottom on the left on the second photo showing the body apron and the new set of pics leaves no doubt.

Agree

So it appears.

So it appears.

IMO...the correct answer was agree, agree, agree...thanks for agree anyway, at least we both see the colour white white...that's a good start

It was last ditch and IMO was made in one size only. You do not get different sizes of zeltbahn.
                  You were talking about some "ridiculous" comment earlier, i won't have the smugness to say the same here.
                  Of course regulation aprons are "last ditch", we wouldn't be in this thread argueing like souk carpets dealers for if body aprons were early items, fully documented with official texts and plenty of period pics.
                  the one size fits all has still to be proven.
                  body aprons could have been produced in various sizes (that's a possibility) but Zeltbahnen NO WAY...
                  Their size and shape were meant to form tents while on the field (among some other things), body aprons weren't meant to be assembled to form tents for 4, 8, 16..etc..men...Zeltbahnen weren't camo material for individuals, per regulation it had to be worn to protect the shoulders and the equipment against the rain...(even if you can see many photos showing Zeltbahnen used by indviduals as camo garment, especially from the middle war, but that's not the problem here...). Zeltbahn is a bad example sorry....as for regulation camo jackets, smocks, pants, worn by the german army the middle war, or even "last ditch", i don't see many "one size fits all" items around...

I would be happier with an unlined apron..
                  My friend was also happy when i traded one of my unlined aprons with him

I am 100% with you there.
                  Thank you very much, too bad it happens on such poor input
                  Last edited by JPhilip; 10-31-2010, 09:45 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Patatrac View Post
                    Hello,
                    Thanks everybody for your answers.
                    Sorry but my english understanding is not very good.
                    This body apron has been found with material indo-china and has been given to me by a friend .
                    So no question of purchase or sale but just explanations.
                    Best regards.
                    Patrick.

Thanks for the additional photos and the for the info about Indochina.
                    So your apron comes from the same lot found in the stuff of this french paratrooper when he came back for Indochina...body aprons were found with some rare french uniforms used around the end of the fourties in Indochina (extreme orient jacket, retailored british denison camo jacket & pants...etc...)..good to know.
                    All material is original, the point being : when were these aprons produced ?
                    Last edited by JPhilip; 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coloprimus View Post
                      perhaps it would have been made for
                      french colonial troops in indochina, though ?
                      Cheers Pierre
                      Yes why not, the indochinese snow is famous and skiers from the all world come to enjoy it.
                      More seriously, i did already check among the best collectors of french postwar and indochina war militaria, and none of them has ever seen or heard of such a garment used in the french army at the time...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X