Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Stalingrad Cross

Hello,

Here is my new Stalingrad Cross that was issued to members of the 44th Infantry Division who survived Stalingrad. Members of the Hoch-und Deutschmeister were issued this as a commemorative badge of honor for their fallen comrades at Stalingrad. This is a nice one attached to an infantry shoulder strap (NCO?). The cross still retains some of the light blue paint / color and the eagle's detail (wings, breast, head) along with the banner Stalingrad all look great. I'm open for opinion on this Stalingrad device, I feel it's 100% right. I would like to know if this device is the "textbook" or "variation" type? I'm hoping to hear from "DJPOOL" and "Dave Suter". Thanks and enjoy! John H.
    Attached Files

Stalingrad Cross

Stalingrad Cross Device close up
    Attached Files

Comment

Stalingrad Cross

Some more views.
      thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Just out of curiosity how would you explain the lack of fading around the cross but not only directly under it? Is the fabric under the button the same color?

Comment

Stalingrad Cross

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          Just out of curiosity how would you explain the lack of fading around the cross but not only directly under it? Is the fabric under the button the same color?
          The pictures are not the best in the world; so, it makes things a little more difficult to assess. Is the difference in color caused by wear to the nap of the wool on the strap? Close to the cypher the nap seems to be intact. Only my opinion; but, I like what I see in the pictures. Is the cross magnetic?

Comment

Stalingrad Cross

This is the way it came originally, with a lot of wear to the fabric of the strap. Under the button there is wear, the thread stitching beneath the button is darker in color while the rest of the stitching around the button hole is white or lighter in color. I was told that the prior owner had put some DW oil on the cross to help preserve it, so this might have caused that discolor look around the cross?

Yes, the cross is magnetic. I hope that is a good sign?

I hope that helps with your questions. How does the Cross look itself?

thanks, John H.

Comment

The cross doesn't appear to be a textbook version or the variant version which may or may not be wartime. Of course the pictures you provided aren't the bes,t but I think the differences are significant enough that better pictures aren't necessary. WR Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

Oil would explain that, I was confused how that could happen and thought it was fading. . Can you post a clear detail shot of the device, if you do not have a camera that can take close images you may be able to do it with a flat scanner.

Comment

wanted more opinions

Hello,

I'm starting to wonder now? Is this pre 45 or post war? I would really appreciate some more opinions on this new purchase of mine. Would this be a keeper or not? Thanks, guys!

Comment

Jim is one of the few guys qualified to give an opinion on these. I doubt you will get other informed comments on the device it self. Jacques

Comment

HuD

Here is the one that I have.
                      Attached Files

Comment

HuD

The back.
                        Attached Files

Comment

HuD

A close up of the cypher itself.
                          Attached Files

Comment

HuD

Another close up.
                            Attached Files

Comment

HuD

12 o'clock
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X