• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+

Comment

+

Comment

Not commenting on the authenticity of the jacket,,but of course every known Soviet film studio stamp has been copied.. IF, you had a nice clear print of one on something it could be copied exactly, no one,, none of us would be able to tell the difference.
        Buy the piece for what it is! ,,the stamps are meaningless.
        I've seen perfectly good jackets in East Europe with bogus stamps added,,when I asked why, they'd say "that's what you guys are looking for!"

What movies?! The Soviets must have made 100's of movies about the Great Patriotic war! In the early days when the USSR broke up each new country didn't have much in programing [first was MTV ripoff!] and after 11:00 they'd play WW2 themed movies well into the night..

anway,,One studio would often lend 'costumes' to another. Insignia would be stripped off and what ever insignia the movie needed it was added. Eventually the authentic jackets wore away and got ruined. Of course some survived. I got to the Ukrainian studio storage in the mid 90s and it was empty already. A guy that showed it to us explained there were a few bundles of wired up jackets laying, almost rotting. that a westerner came and bought them . He was pretty sure they were very old fakes. Any of the surviving jackets/pieces that are around are pieces a worker liked and had taken home or given to a writer/director as mementos,,,at least that's the story I'd gotten!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
          Not commenting on the authenticity of the jacket,,but of course every known Soviet film studio stamp has been copied.. IF, you had a nice clear print of one on something it could be copied exactly, no one,, none of us would be able to tell the difference...

Sorry, but you are not right. Dealers not always pay a lot of attention for identity of the stamps on their repros. And the false stamp I presented only confirm above said. The “Alma Ata film studio” stamp on Nickwall, my tunic and other tunics from the same studio passed through my hands were completely identity. The false stamp on my picture (for the words, it’s put on the replica) is different. If you check it more carefully you will find the difference – different distance between the lines, between the letters etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
            What movies?! The Soviets must have made 100's of movies about the Great Patriotic war! In the early days when the USSR broke up each new country didn't have much in programing [first was MTV ripoff!] and after 11:00 they'd play WW2 themed movies well into the night..

anway,,One studio would often lend 'costumes' to another. Insignia would be stripped off and what ever insignia the movie needed it was added. Eventually the authentic jackets wore away and got ruined. Of course some survived. I got to the Ukrainian studio storage in the mid 90s and it was empty already. A guy that showed it to us explained there were a few bundles of wired up jackets laying, almost rotting. that a westerner came and bought them . He was pretty sure they were very old fakes. Any of the surviving jackets/pieces that are around are pieces a worker liked and had taken home or given to a writer/director as mementos,,,at least that's the story I'd gotten!

Yes, now you are 100% right with small remarks.

When the western part of the Soviet Union had been occupied by Germans the production of the films was transferred to Alma Ata city, Kazakhstan (free from the war and the eastern soviet republic). Alma Ata film studio obtained thousands of uniforms from the POWs and a lot of german’s equipment. After the war time those trophies and others were distributed between the restored film studios in Moskow, Leningrad, Kiev, Odessa and the theaters in many cities. During the long period the trophies (sometimes mixed with the replicas) have been used in all movies about the war.

Comment

But in 80th-90th (during the “perestriyka” period) the control for the props had been lost and everything was illegally sold for the dealers and collectors. Many of the items were heavily worn,...sometimes with replaced pockets (as below; I sold it few years ago and can’t show the studio stamp now).

Comment

But I know some items of uniform or equipment from the studious or theatres which are in a virgin condition. Some of them have a stickers: “Untouchable. Keep as example”. Mostly the holders of those items - present or former members of the survey squads or persons who were responsible for the cloakrooms.

These are some things (and their cloakroom and inventory stamps) from the film studious I have.

Comment

This greatcoat is in exellent condition. Studio stamp was painted over before selling

Last edited by IHTIANDR; 01-23-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

+

Comment

IHTIANDR, well we agree on most .
                      But I'll state again. Take a look at post #11.. If you had a clearer ink stamp on a garment and took to any print shop [especially in East Europe] they would be able to make the exact stamp.
                      Computer scanning the last 10 ,even 15 years ago would copy it exactly down to even more than 1000th of an inch. I saw the new US $100. bills in the mid 1990's counterfeited 2 weeks after they were issued in the US in Kiev. Nearly perfect.
                      That museum ink stamp is childs play.. Doesn't matter, we want the item right? not the ink stamp!

- some very nice jackets you have there

Comment

OK Gaspare and thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X