No announcement yet.

352nd Infantry Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with Chris on this, something isn't right with the story related by the vet regarding these pieces. I am not calling the vet a liar but perhaps with time and age the stories have become confused. The helmet looks like something he more likely picked up at a reunion then during the war. Out of curiosity did you tell this vet you where specifically searching for items related to the 352nd?

Comment

The writing on the helmet and breadbag does the most damage... It practically shows no wear in comparrison (at least not consistant with other named items we see that are hardly legible). And its very untypical to see such detailed unit designation written out on an item, except for when its a highly sough after item of course (meaning faked!).

I'll tread lightly when I say the vet could have gotten some details confused as the years have dragged on.. perhaps he picked up the flag in a different location? However... The original owner of this helmet was German -- the text written is by that of a non-German speaking person -- if the vet claims to be "essentially" the second person to own the helmet, it means by simple elimination he's the one that wrote the text. And from here the whole story starts to come into question and fall apart.

I really really hate to paint the vet in a bad light... this story just does not seem legit, and its more than just confussing the facts...

Comment

Last edited by Der Alte; 06-27-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

If you do check into the story a bit more be sure to let us know what you find! I really hope these turn out to be the real deal for you!!! But for now, there are just too many questions to give the " "

Good Luck!
          Jeremy D. Stephens

Comment

Hi,
            This helmet was picked up in the area research leads me to believe its from a 352nd soldier.
            Mark
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X