Another Musician Waffenrock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Musician Waffenrock!

As some of you know, i've got a very keen interest in musician waffenrock. Unfortunately they are quite hard to come by. There have been some nice ones posted lately, so i thought i would share this new one.
    This arrived on christmas eve, and has been in my friends collection for some time...i think i may have persuaded him to trade it with me!
    The nice thing about this one is its cavalry. I'm not sure i have seen another cavalry musician waffenrock before(in my short time of collecting).
    The tunic itself is very nice, with no damage at all. The shoulder boards have been unpicked, but you can still make out the original numbers (S7). Inside it is maker marked, dated and unit stamped. The date is 38, and the unit is 5/KSR7.
    The swallows nests are hooked on rather than sewn in, i do prefer senw in ones, but i've now decided you cant be to fussy with musician tunics, as i am not likely to see another cavalry one for some time!
    The only thing i'm not sure about is the eagle, is looks a bit different to others i have seen. Perhaps people can give their views on this?

Anyway, hope you all like it and i would really appreciate your thoughts on this tunic.

Thanks

Lewis

Hi Lewis

It is a beautuful waffenrock. You are right, musician waffenrocks are very rare.

Congratulations

Juan

Comment

Lewis,

Beautiful Waffenrock and a nice addition to your collection, congratulations!

IMO, the breast eagle has been reapplied but this is an easy fix and in no way detracts from the beauty of your rock. Does the stitching on the BE go through to the inside lining of the tunic?

Mark

Comment

very beautiful waffenrock!

greatings from germany,

Captain

Comment

Thanks all.

Juan and Mark, thanks, i now need a pioneer and panzer musician!

with regards to the eagle, whats strange is that is appears to be hand sewn to the felt backing. On all waffenrock i've seen the eagle is machine sewn with a heavy border to the felt.

Has anyone seen this before? Also is this eagle correct for a waffenrock or is it from another tunic?

Thanks

lewis

Comment

Lewis,

The BE on this Waffenrock is a flat wire type and is correct for this tunic.

Most flat wire BE's I have encountered are machine sewn to badge cloth and the badge cloth is then hand sewn to the tunic. It does appear the wrong color of badge cloth was used to apply the BE to your tunic. The badge cloth behind the BE should be the same deep green color and/or material that was used for the collar and cuffs.

Mark
            Last edited by MLH13; 12-28-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Lewis,

I want to also add, in the early years of the Waffenrock the color of the badge cloth used behind the BE was field gray, the same color as the uniform cloth itself.

The fabric used behind your BE appears to be a different shade of green or gray so this leads me to believe the BE was reapplied. The BE can be easily changed if you care to do so.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark.

A couple more pictures comparing with my infantry musician (NCO):

lewis
                Last edited by LDR; 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X