Another Panzer Shoulder Boards Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Panzer Shoulder Boards Question

Since I have been looking for a pair of wool piped NCO Panzer shoulder boards, I have had no luck. A collector mailed these boards to me and I am not familiar with this type with no cotton or rayon backing on the tongues. These boards' tongues are just double layer of wool, from the front and reverse of the shoulder boards. The button holes are not 'keyhole' shaped.

Are these reproductions?

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Verso
    Attached Files

Comment

Although I have never seen Panzer boards these are appear to be similar in construction to Private purchase tailor-made field-gray boards often worn by other branches NCOs etc.

Comment

This may be the part of the Movie where Glenn or Mike Davis come in swinging on a rope and cut off my head center stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
          Since I have been looking for a pair of wool piped NCO Panzer shoulder boards, I have had no luck.
          Bob Hritz
          I might consider continuing the search.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Thank you, Bryon. That was my initial instinct.

Bob Hritz

Comment

They do look similar though but I would be tempted by these, I guess that is the point.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the slit style button holes. There is also nothing wrong with the type of tongue reinforcement these straps utilize. My first impression is that these are probably okay, but I'd want to see them in hand before making a definite call either way.

If you aren't comfortable with them I'd take Singer's advice and pass.
                AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

I have seen an awful lot of standard Heer boards, usually considered private or tailor made that match these in materials and style...except these are black. I didn't care for them for a long time, but I have seen so many that I know for sure are legit (vet sources) that these might be O.K. I would tend to look for a standard set of issue wrap type boards, which might take a while. Most likely O.K. but go with the gut as you have to live with them for a while.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by PD Sergeant View Post
                    ... My first impression is that these are probably okay, but I'd want to see them in hand before making a definite call either way.

If you aren't comfortable with them I'd take Singer's advice and pass.
                    Well Sergeant, it's only my uneducated opinion, should never take my word as "the gospel".

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                      I have seen an awful lot of standard Heer boards, usually considered private or tailor made that match these in materials and style...except these are black. I didn't care for them for a long time, but I have seen so many that I know for sure are legit (vet sources) that these might be O.K. I would tend to look for a standard set of issue wrap type boards, which might take a while. Most likely O.K. but go with the gut as you have to live with them for a while.

Richard
                      I agree with the observations above and with PD Sgt. I think that while it may be impossible to say 100%, I think that these look convincing as period tailor made boards.

I guess the safest way to go is to dismiss anything that is not 100% like a factory contract strap, however one will pass on a LOT of good period straps with that as a policy. I also think that there exist some 100% textbook straps that are as fake as 3 dollar bills but by being perfect fakes, they are not on the radar.

Comment

i like this boards, have seen in the past some made in this way tailor made most perhaps but still nice imo

Comment

I consider this type of shoulder straps tailor made and pre 1945, here a mint style like those posted.
                          Luca
                          Attached Files
                          Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Attached Files
                            Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

That is the common backing material, the mable gray on the back of Lucas boards, this is the type of fabric I believe the Panzer boards are but dyed black, it always feels sort of "puffy". IMO it is a composite wool felt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X