Signals Waffenrock with Odd Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signals Waffenrock with Odd Eagle

I was shown this 'out of the woodwork' tunic today. The eagle gave me some concern, and the seller wasn't giving it away.

Tunic features twill interior and is marked as shown. Pockets are found in the rear skirt. Other details are shown in the attached photos.

Needless to say, the eagle gave me some concern. I like the manner in which the bird is sewn to the tunic. However, I certainly didn't expect to see this particular type of eagle. I would have expected this eagle on a combat tunic. Also, the ealge is dirtier than the the tunic. Note the staining on the eagle. BTW, the tunic has been dry cleaned. A couple of the buttons have been resewn.

Anyone encountered a parade tunic with this type eagle before? Any legitimate reason for this eagle to be there?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Calvin Hall; 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM.
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

interior shot...
    Attached Files

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

interior markings...
      Attached Files

Comment

shoulder boards...
        Attached Files

Comment

and, finally, the odd breast eagle...
          Attached Files

Comment

The eagle definatly isn't right for the tunic but its put on there very well. Possible late war??? Hard to call, decent looking tunic aside from the eagle. Matt

Comment

I guess this possible for a mid-War "dress tunic" etc. also with the slip on letters but I think they would have been able to find a dress eagle and why would the orignal dress eagle have been removed during the war? Another (perhaps more likely) explaination is collector meddling and picking the wrong eagle etc. Hard to say for sure but I suspect the later.

Can you see old stitch holes on the eagle from being sewn on before? I see something on the top edge in the photo, that would be a good clue leaning towards post war application.

Comment

Also this is Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                  Can you see old stitch holes on the eagle from being sewn on before? I see something on the top edge in the photo, that would be a good clue leaning towards post war application.
                  Nope. I checked it for other stitch holes, but I didn't see any.

Comment

Also this is Cavalry
                    You sure? This cap came w/ the tunic. 'N' corresponds to signals, correct?

Can't say for sure that the cap and tunic are from the same guy, though.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the staining to the center of the eagle and that the cloth around it is clean I would guess it was restored. There really is not way to tell 100%.

The cap looks like signals to me but the tunic is goldenrod. Looks like Cav to me. Signals is lemon yellow.

Comment

cap stamping...
                        Attached Files

Comment

The device on the boards is "A" for Cav recon. The hat is marked to 3rd Company, Signals Battalion 49, Condition Grade "I" Two different guys.

Comment

The device on the boards is "A" for Cav recon. The hat is marked to 3rd Company, Signals Battalion 49, Condition Grade "I" Two different guys.
                            Ahh...very good. Thanks for the info and education!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Hall View Post
                              Ahh...very good. Thanks for the info and education!
                              You are welcome, the signals unit was a attached to IX. Armeekorps (9.), lots of interesting sevice near Moscow etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X