opinions on NCO infantry straps please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread

They could be so close it would be hard to tell the difference now. You almost would need a microscope or a disecting scope (seriously) to see if they really are the same thread. I see nothing wrong with them at all.

Comment

Textbook!

Hi Glenn,

After looking over your straps and the others I'd say that they are near textbook. It is not unusual to find the same color thread used throughout.

Remember these straps were made a long time ago. There are probably variations in the shade of grey thread, but the colors in the thread in the straps having been together for so long, have all bled together slightly.

The Germans used a lot of coal tar in their dyes to with age you'll often see a slight "browning" to the cloth. Of course exposure to sun, temperature and variations in humidity will affect the aging process dramatically.

Contrary to popular belief, most NCO straps were factory made. The reason for this was that sewing the tress on required a machine with a special "foot" to properly execute the inverted "U" at the top.

So finding the same color thread used in the construction & the application of the braid is not a big problem in my opinion.

The tress used is interesting in that it has the late war "hourglass pattern"
      (I have no problems with this tress) and feel that this is typical wartime production. One has to understand that uniforms and shoulder straps were made in almost sweat-shop like conditions. Companies had production deadlines to meet and these straps were made by the tens of thousands.

Usually they had rows of men & women sewing like mad - the straps were assembled, the braid was applied and they were thrown into a barrel or even a pile on the shop floor. Later, another person would match the pairs by color and rank into bundles of 5 or 10 pairs. Sometimes these larger bundles were wrapped in paper, stamped & dated for distribution to the depots.

If you like I'll be glad to look them over and give you an opinion. But from what I see so far, I like them.

Sincerely,

Diane

Comment

I want to thank everyone who has publicly and privately commented on these straps. I received 8 different comments from members and all were full of detailed viewing and information. you Guys did me right on your observations, examples and info. I have (in my opinion) a very nice good sized collection but I know most of it would be BS if it weren't for this forum and the helpful, knowledgeable members here. you Guys are great and when ever possible I pass along the info I've learned to others who are looking for similar answers. this forum is a treasure trove of wisdom. thanks once again for all your help, I really appreciate it. Glenn

Comment

Thread

Where do we send the bill?

Joking, You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
            Where do we send the bill?

Joking, You are welcome.

Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X