U-Boat Knight Cross Winner Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Knight Cross Winner Tunic

Here is a tunic that I recently picked up. It belonged to Korvettenkapitän Wilhelm Rollmann, who was only the 5th U-boat commander to recieve the Knights Cross.
    According to www.uboat.net:
    Wilhelm Rollmann began his naval career in April 1926. Later he served on several ships, including the light cruiser Karlsruhe. In May 1937 he transferred to the U-boat force. After the usual training he took command of U-34 in October 1938. Two of his more notable successes were the sinking of the British destroyer HMS Whirlwind and the British submarine Spearfish.

After seven successful patrols he left the boat and became an instructor in the 2nd ULD (Unterseeboots-Lehr-Division). On 20 February, 1943 he commissioned the U-848, a large Type IXD2 U-boat. The boat was sunk on her first patrol with all hands on 5 November, 1943 by US aircraft southwest of Ascension in the mid-Atlantic. <!-- Print book lookup code -->

Unfortunately, the tunic was seperated from his award documents a number of years ago. Maybe I can re-unite them some day.

Doug
    Attached Files

Pic 1... The tunic is made of a very fine wool and is unfortunately so small that it doesn't even fit on my smallest mannequin.
    Attached Files

Comment

The tailor tag shows a date of 1933.
      Attached Files

Comment

Eagle...
        Attached Files

Comment

Sewn-on ribbon bar...
          Attached Files

Comment

Doug, very nice and historical tunic . This is a first class. Congratulations.
            Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
            Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Nice tunic !!

Comment

Doug,

A very nice historical tunic. All those submariners were small guys. My father-in-law volunteered for the submarine service before WWII and was told he was too tall. He was assigned to a heavy cruiser where there was more headroom.

George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X