• Show
Clear All

Generals tunic

Tom,

You are so right!!

Fred Green

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
      There is no such word as a fraudless dealer (Steiner).

Right, and there is no such thing as a fraudless collector either!
      Tom
      I disagree with that wholeheartedly. I have known many collectors who have freely disclosed when they have restored insignia to a cap or tunic when they have sold it. Restoring a tunic is not a crime, but selling it as untouched original from out of the woodwork is fraud.

Comment

And the worst of all is a collector/dealer, especilly one that doesn't take the time to send a friend photos of specialty patches. How low can you go...Tom

Comment

Generals tunic

Greetings,

Well said Tom!

Fred

Comment

It is all about motive. When one goes out of his way to deceive, it goes a long way to defining character.

Al
            And Dave is correct, this is outright fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
              Now look at our hobby (obsession). It is growing by leaps and bounds. Every day more and more collectors are getting into the game. These are potential new customers for these dealers. They don’t know everything and sometimes have to trust a dealer. How many new collectors just read this thread and will never even look at their sites again? Was it worth it? You loose your reputation in this hobby you might as well hang it up, word travels very fast.
              Unfortunately it will probably have little impact overall... look at Third Reich Depot... the guy dies and his widow carries on with the (crooked) business in the same manner! And because her old man committed suicide (by the way there is a heavy emphasis that these forums drove him crazy!), she receives a lot of sympathy buying! All you can do is try and steer (new) collectors away from these people. Once dealers are caught like this, their names should go around the community as "Untrustworthy" and collectors should avoid buying anything from them. It's a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face because sometimes these people do come up with some great authentic pieces, but I won't buy from people who cheat and steal, no matter what they have to sell.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned it but has anybody noticed that the collar tabs are mismatched - look at their length.

Bob

Comment

Unfortunately it will probably have little impact overall...
                And there is the sad truth.

Look at the recent helmet saga regarding Ken N...i recently viewed his site out of interest to see if anything negative had occurred to his brisk turnaround on items ( i no longer collect TR ) and was not surprised to see a thriving trade still evident.

The quest for items seems to make collectors have a very short memory indeed....

Weitze will remain one of the European super dealers, unassailable and untouchable.

Should the tunic make a difference to how he trades?

Emphatically yes.

Will it?

Sadly no.

Patrick.

Comment

Bob, cannot agree more. Jacques

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
                  Unfortunately it will probably have little impact overall... look at Third Reich Depot... the guy dies and his widow carries on with the (crooked) business in the same manner! And because her old man committed suicide (by the way there is a heavy emphasis that these forums drove him crazy!), she receives a lot of sympathy buying! All you can do is try and steer (new) collectors away from these people. Once dealers are caught like this, their names should go around the community as "Untrustworthy" and collectors should avoid buying anything from them. It's a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face because sometimes these people do come up with some great authentic pieces, but I won't buy from people who cheat and steal, no matter what they have to sell.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned it but has anybody noticed that the collar tabs are mismatched - look at their length.

Bob

Comment

The current description now states that the tunic was bought without the collar tabs or something like that..my German translation is rusty. Here is what is written " Als wir die Jacke kauften fehlten die Kragenspiegel, diese habe wir fachgerecht aufn******228;hen lassen."

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                      The current description now states that the tunic was bought without the collar tabs or something like that..my German translation is rusty. Here is what is written " Als wir die Jacke kauften fehlten die Kragenspiegel, diese habe wir fachgerecht aufnähen lassen."
                      It says "When we bought the tunic the collar tabs were missing. We had them porpperly reapplied". Perhaps it should say "When we bought the collar tabs the tunic was missing. We had it propperly reapplied".

Comment

Well it looks like one of his sheep gave him a heads up on the tread. That IS NOT what is said when this thread started. Look at post #9. That was a cut and paste right off his site. All I did was run it through bable fish. This is what it said “Easily carried in very beautiful unaffected original state. The field blouse originates directly from a private household and still was in no collection.” __________________

Comment

So, he edited his description.....
                          He should have done this in the first place when he put it up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by TONY Q.W. View Post
                            Dear Friend Nick, I read you loud and clear . I just can not get along with their nerve such us the following :"never been in other collection before" etc.
                            Hi Tony, just for a laugh as I'm late with this thread, that tunic has not been in a collection before (Not in it's current form), the bits it's made from have been though

The dealers seamstress has worked wonders with this one. I own an Artillery Hauptmann's field piped service tunic, therefore I would steer clear of a similar looking one to this Generals as they are too similar. I would probably miss a few real ones, but can't afford to make another cash cock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                              It says "When we bought the tunic the collar tabs were missing. We had them porpperly reapplied". Perhaps it should say "When we bought the collar tabs the tunic was missing. We had it propperly reapplied".
                              Well said Albert!
                              jeff
                              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Restoration

Wow, yes the thread is great detective work and a headsup for all new collectors.

I wrote the following thread a time back on retailoring in Hamburg and the surrounding area. I lived there a couple of years and that's where you become aware of certain things:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=117426

My friend was offered straight forward whether he wanted the insignias to be restored for an additional 100 bucks (DEM back then).

This explains why all dealers in Hamburg have real nice houses, drive Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, you name it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X