Unusual Overcoat-German?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Overcoat-German?

Howdy! This is my first post so please be gentle. I am basically asking the impossible but it looks like I cannot post pictures so I will have to describe the item. I have recently aquired what was described as a WWII SS enlisted German overcoat on Ebay. The price was cheap and I got what I expected-a put together job with bad repro infantry boards and a corporal chevron. My question is has anyone seen clothing marked with a crown and "A.C.B 1940" underneath with "96 underneath that and a very large 1.2 underneath that. There is also what looks like "H.I.S" on the inside of one of the pockets. I would like to know if anyone has an idea of what country uses those types of
    markings. I think the corwn and the A.C.B markings are the key. Any help on those markings would help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your description of the crown and the subsequent markings, it sounds like some sort of period 1940 Swedish trenchcoat that someone converted haphazardly to SS. Hopefully you'll be able to put the piece to some use, sorry.

Comment

Sounds for sure Swedish. Does the buttons have 3 crowns on them? I hope you didn't pay to much for it?

Steve
      Last edited by airborne_steve; 12-18-2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Sweedish overcoat

Thanks fellas! Actually, I did not pay too much for it. I gave the dealer 100.00 for the coat and a wwII helmet from Belgium. I did not kick too much butt there but for 50.00 more, I received 25 various postcards and documents of which one was an SS Feldpost postcard and another was something called a "Vorfuhrschein". It looks like a booklet but when you open it, it has a document inside that is Kreigsmarine and is for a machinist mate stationed on a patrol boat (64.Vp. Flottille). It looks like it was a permission paper for him to use radio equipment-neat piece! Getting back to the overcoat, the boards and patches made me laugh out loud. Really bad fakes! Here is a stupid question: what is the coat valued at ? I will not cry. Shane

Comment

Oops!

I almost forgot to answer the button question. The buttons were replaced with repro pebbled German types. When did the practice of changing Sweedish coats to German start? Just wondering.

Comment

Can you get some shots up of the coat? I would say probably around $50-$75 I suppose judging by the description, but it depends on the overall quality.

Comment

Swedish overcoats were some of the first to be modified in to German coats for re-enacting. These days there are some repoductions that are true works of art and would take an expert to tell if it were a fake.

Steve

Comment

Swedish Coat

I wil try to load some pictures loaded at some point but tonight, I'm going to bed. This is my first post and it has been a pleasure. I did not find this website till sometime last year and I have been hooked ever since. Kinda funny to think about the old days when you had to dig and dig to find out something about an ellusive item. Now, you can just get on the computer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X