To remove fake collar tress or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To remove fake collar tress or not?

I bought a M36 tunic off the WAF a few years ago - I black light tested it and the tress stitching glowed. As I knew that this was not a definite sign of post-war stitching it didn't really bother me as it's a nice tunic anyway for a good price. Just lately though I saw a thread which highlighted the difference between WH and DDR collar tress, with the latter having more elongated diamonds than the former so I am now convinced that the collar tress has been added sometime after the war.

The questions are - should I carefully unpick it, and if so, should I then add the correct period tress to cover the holes??

The tunic has pre-war pointed oberfeldwebel shoulder straps with the correct tress, and a SNCO quality breast eagle so the NCO tress would not look out of place IMO.

This is the best pic I have at the moment - it doesn't show much but at least you can see the tunic!
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking display!

If you re-read that thread about elongated diamonds, the simple premise is despite conventional collector wisdom, not all elongated diamonds are post-war.

Don't rush into stripping this tunic just yet! Show some good closeups of the collar tress for comparison.

Paul
      Last edited by Paul McKee; 12-04-2006, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul McKee View Post
        Nice looking display!

If you re-read that thread about elongated diamonds, the simple premise is despite conventional collector wisdom, that not all elongated diamonds are post-war.

Don't rush into stripping this tunic just yet! Show some good closeups of the collar tress for comparison.

Paul
        Thanks Paul,
        I'm not back home for a couple of weeks so will post some close ups then Don't worry, I won't rush into anything!

Comment

John, I would second what Paul said - post some close-ups - there were far more than just one or two styles of tresse between 1933 and 1941!

Don

Comment

Can i see a period elongated diamond tresse?i ve seen about 3-4 styles of tresse(mouse grey style included)

Comment

Here are some photos I have posted with different styles of tresse:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=191218

Comment

Well here are the photos at last - the UV one is the best I can do! I've included a few shots of the underside of the collar too.
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

4. There is no UV visible beneath the collar
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

TTT with pics

Comment

I'm not sure about that tresse. The edges look very wide to me. There were many varieties of treese used before 1945. I am not familiar with this type as an original or postwar type. My advice would be to leave it on.

Comment

I am not any kind of expert on tresse, as I've owned maybe three NCO tunics in my life, but I would leave it alone - it does NOT look like E. German tresse to me. If you were to remove it there's always the chance that you m,ight do more harm than good.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X