Superglue in WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superglue in WWII

So this may be a dumb question. I bought this tunic and was looking at the 'field repair' in the sleeves. There's a cut of the same material as the tunic superglued in. So the question? Was there superglue? I doubt it personally, but would be interesting to see. Here's pics, thanks:
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

cool tunic though...
          Attached Files

Comment

I heard superglue was originally created in the U.S. to treat wounds/cuts. It worked great but kept the germs in. This caused infections so they quit using it. Not sure if this is true!!!!

Nate

Comment

The history of Superglue... http://www.articledepot.co.uk/article-2511.htm

Comment

Originally posted by nate ellis
                I heard superglue was originally created in the U.S. to treat wounds/cuts. It worked great but kept the germs in. This caused infections so they quit using it. Not sure if this is true
                Nate
                Hello Nate, superglue has now been in wide spread use for laceration closing for many years and works quite well. It is marketed under the name Dermabond adhesive. It works very well and has a low infection rate and provides a strong closure. It works well on the face without the usual "stich mark holes" one gets with suturing. Many advantages. Regards Bill Bourque
                Last edited by hs132; 05-23-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

My mother uses a subsctance that you iron on to make folds stay or to prevent holes on clothes. It gets the same appearance as superglue when ironed on. Just a thought.

/Henrik

Comment

I am sorry, but this has got to be the most interesting thread that's ever been posted!

WB, you mind asking your mom how long she's been using that, and if it also works as an adhesive? Thanks everyone

PS- I split my eye open wrestling in high school, had 14 stitches, glued it an was able to continue wrestling with my stitches only being out a week! No infections. Good stuff. We use it in the army to cover blisters so you can keep drivin on too!

Comment

I just asked her, she said that it has been around for at least 50 years, maybe even more as she recalls that my grandmother also used it.

Yes it's adhesive, but it's not the most durable and has to be redone after about 10 washes or so. I'll see if I can find a english word for it. Hope this helps.

/Henrik

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the help WB!

Comment

Originally posted by WB_Collector
                          My mother uses a subsctance that you iron on to make folds stay or to prevent holes on clothes. It gets the same appearance as superglue when ironed on. Just a thought.

/Henrik
                          Stitch witch. That what we call it. I still use it to hem up my uniforms for work prior to actually stitching them. Cut in strips and iron it between two pieces of cloth and you are good to go.

Comment

In England its called 'Wonder Web'. Its a ribbon material which melts when ironed to form the bond.

Comment

From those pictures, it does actually look like "Wunda-Web"...It reminds me of my school uniform, when the same pair of trousers had to do you for about three years (luxury ).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X