Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PzPi Wrapper help please!

Dear All,

Trying to figure out whether to sell or keep this one...

Not too long ago, I bought this PzPi wrapper from a local source. It's never been in collector's hands and came straight out of the family's closet. So this is its original state as it was back in the war (minus the skulls and breast eagle which fell victim to denazification).

The original wearer used to serve as an Army Pionier officer and later got transfered to a PzPi unit (or his unit got re-designated). The strange thing is that he apparently was issued (or, to use German Army jargon, "organized") a regular pink piped wrapper and modified it to PzPi using his regular Pionier boards.

Is this something that was commonly practiced? Shortage of properly piped uniforms or dress modification on personal / unit initiative?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Albert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Albert; 01-01-2006, 11:42 AM.

Pz. Pionier

Sounds like good questions for Mike Pruett, Steve Androsko (aka "PANZERPIONERE" on the Forum), and also Scott Pritchett!

Comment

Field-Modified Panzer-Pionier Uniform

Albert,

Yes, this was a very common practise. The "issue" Panzerpionier piping was a "fleck" pattern with the black and white interwoven into the piping. This was hard to obtain and, furthermore, was eventually discontinued (or at least supposed to be). Many Panzerpionier formations continued the tradition, however, and used the twisted silver/black cord on the wraps. Obviously, this was hard to do to the shoulder boards, so the standard boards were used instead. Standard Panzer uniforms were used as the basis for the modification, so the story you were given is correct.

This practise was quite common in Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 16 of the 16. Panzer-Division. There are numerous images of this in our first book, Field Uniforms of German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2 (shameless plug!).
      It would be interesting to find out what battalion this officer was assigned to...

I'm sure many people will ask you if you are interested in selling this. If you do, please consider me on your list as well.

Thanks for the interesting posting.
      Einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr wünsche ich Ihnen!

Bob Edwards

Comment

Albert,
        GOOD FOR YOU!
        Could you please post some more photographs of the wrap? Also, was there more in the veterans estate besides the wrap? I would be very curious to hear from which Panzerpionier-Batl. the original owner served with.

Thanks in advance.
        Mike

Comment

Period Postcard of a Panzer-Pionier

Good morning, Albert and Mike!

Here is a link to a Panzer-Pionier wedding portrait (postcard size) that I am offering on eBay (USA). In case the link does not work for you or you do not want to go to eBay, I am also attaching the photo. It clearly shows the type of piping Albert has on his wrap, albeit for an enlisted man.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

I would also be interested in finding out what battalion he was assigned to.

Regards,
          Bob Edwards

PS For those of you who are photo collectors, I am clearing out a number of older images that were used in our second book. If you go to the link above, you can click on the second link to see what other images I am selling. As far as I know, they are all original images, however, I am happen to apply eStand rules to any purchase made there as well. If the link does not work, you can search for the items on eBay using my "nom de eBay": Panzertruppe
          Last edited by Panzer Bob; 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much everybody!

Unfortunately, not much is know but there still is hope that some info will surface.

I am trying to take a picture of the whole thing but it turns out too dark. So let's start with some details. If I succed in taking a nice picture of the hwole wrapper I will post it.

Let's start with the markings:

Best regards,

Albert
            Attached Files

Comment

Inside:
              Attached Files

Comment

Sleeve detail:
                Attached Files

Comment

Underside of collar:
                  Attached Files

Comment

The markings etc look right as rain. Congrats on a rare wrapper

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Pz Pi Wrap

Congratulations Albert! A beautiful wrapper.
                      Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-03-2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Simply amazing!
                        I am curious to the unit the officer belonged to.
                        Steve

Comment

Hi all.
                          who do you Attache Images??

Comment

Now thats a sweet tunic!! If you have problems finding a place to put that in your house, I'll make room in my house for it .

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X