Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great coat

Hi guys

I like to share some pictures of the GC that I bought recently. IMO it is a fine textbook example of an early GC. It is used a a grade #1 coat because the back plate is still sewn together.

I have a question about the construction of the lower side of the skirts. There is no seam on the under side. Is this normal??

Willem
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

If by your question do you mean that the lower hem be unfinished, the answer is yes. Nice example.

Comment

Thanks Mike,

I was not able to find the right answer in the books. You solved it. Do you happen to know why it is unfinished. It is on the privatly bought examples.

Willem

Comment

I confess that I can only speculate as to the reason, perhaps someone else knows the answer. All issue greatcoats that I have owned have had unhemmed bottoms....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                    I confess that I can only speculate as to the reason, perhaps someone else knows the answer. All issue greatcoats that I have owned have had unhemmed bottoms....
                    mine is also the same way. I have a vgc WB43 mantel. Willem, I like yours alot. very nice. Glenn

Comment

Unhemmed Greatcoats

Greetings,

If I was going to take a guess at this it is because they don't unravel! Good quality wool won't seperate and come apart. The union pattern dress coats in the civil war were made the same way.

Fred Green
                      Diche Fritz

Comment

Raw Hem

I noticed that all my WW1 greatcoats (US) have raw hems too. I also have three greatcoats from the American Civil War c1861-65 that have raw hems on the bottom. Perhaps this is standard construction for greatcoats in general regardless of era or nationality...although my WW2 US greatcoats have finished hems. Go figure!

It would seem that a raw edge would unravel easily as the greatcoat sustained wear...but the Civil War examples I have are still pretty intact after 145 years!

Paul

Comment

All of my Imperial tunics, to include dress tunics, have a raw lower hem as a feature...

Comment

very nice coat, any body no the going prices for these early coats?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V
                              very nice coat, any body no the going prices for these early coats?

I am not sure but about E 300.- w/o the shoulder straps

Willem

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X