Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generalfeldmarschall Ewald Von Kleist Uniform

Hello all,

Mr. Kai Winkler is selling a uniform belonging to Generalfeldmarchall Ewald Paul von Kleist and I would like your opinions on it.

Thanks

Mark
    Attached Files

Pic 2

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

I was interested on seeing a response on this tunic also. I think after 100+ views the silence says it all.

Comment

Hi Mark,
            It looks nice, but I just would have some questions about it. Looking at pictures from the book Von Kleist by C.R. Davis, he appears to only wear the old style tunic. I notice that there are loops on the right pocket, but by the literature I have, he was not awarded the German Cross. Also GFM Von Kleist was relieved of his duties in March 1944, so the question is would he need another uniform tailored in July 1944 in retirement. The question I have to the forum is how many locations did Holters tailor shop have? I have seen two different address tags, one like the above and the other at W50 Tauentzien Str 16. I purchased only the Greatcoat that was part of the 2003 Manions auction which looks authentic, but the other components of that auction was historically inaccurate. In addition to looking at the quality of the uniform, you really need to know the history (awards, promotions, and scan available pictures). At these prices you don't want to be make an error in judgement. Tony

Comment

NTZ and Tony,

Thanks for the replies. Tony, you brought up some very good points and at this juncture, there are too many unanswered questions with this tunic especially when one considers dropping almost 20k for it. If I purchased this uniform, there is no way I could sleep at night with so many unknowns.

Mark

Comment

I notice there are 5 medal bar loops and in all the photos I can find on Von Kleist there are always 6. If someone has a pic of him with just 5 loops (which would more than likely be in this tunic) it would be nice to see.

Comment

For me, the shoulder boards look brand new, but the crossed batons show heavy age - something aint right there...

Scott

Comment

For 20K I stay away from this one. I notice one more questionable feature. The last picture with pocket and maker's tag. It looks like the pocket seam was done by hand due to the stitch. A professional tailor would have machined sewn this or atleast did a better job. The machine stitching of the tag doesn't look quite right. My uniforms and pictures from authentic unforms have the stitch slightly zig-zag attaching the tag to the pocket. To me it looks like the pocket seam was opened and the tag sewn in with the pocket seam reattached by hand. I don't like it.
                    Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X