Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voos Army Engraved Dagger - is it authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voos Army Engraved Dagger - is it authentic?

I've been offered this Army engraved dagger by Emil Voos. The family says they've had it since the 1950's. I've been comparing the engraving with other on-line examples and they seem to match. Does anyone have an opinion on its authenticity? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by honest abe; 11-07-2019, 02:55 PM.

From these photos blade etching looks OK IMO. Dagger ferrule is heavy nickle plated?

Schlange

https://mojalbum.com/schlange88

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=916564

Comment

I like what I see.

Comment

I like this one too. Grip looks like ivory, a nice maker marked example. Don't overlay though based on the grip chipping near the pommel, IMO.

Comment

I like this one also.
          And the plated ferrule stand out like a sore thumb against the heavily tarnished patina of the silvered fittings. Very common. Nice dagger

Comment

Good one and agree with Billy, a Ivory grip.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. The fellow who has it now seems to still want it hanging on his wall.

Comment

While the dagger is original the etch is post war. The tell tale is in the etch just below the cross guard. The 2 etched lines that run from side to side are connected on 1 side but not on the other. That connecting line was never done on era etched blades and with it being done on 1 side and not the other is commonly found on post war etched army and luftwaffe daggers. Good thing you were not able to purchase it and sad that another original dagger was ruined by a con artist who had done that to many of these daggers.

Comment

The etch is good from these photos. If you notice the tip of the blade has plating loss and some of the parts are replaced (Ferrule and maybe scabbard). IF the guy wants a wall hanger , offer to trade him a plain blade Army plus cash

Comment

I like it too, nice dagger!
                    Bob
                    www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

So you do not see the connect lines on one side and the other with no line at all? Look at the etch on the far right of the blade below the cross guard. The 2 lines running blade side to side, top to bottom as that blade lays. The top has an etch line extending and covering the end of both lines and then some. Bottom of those side to side lines has not a etch as it does on the top side. That would never pass inspection and I think was done on purpose by the guy who did that. He passed away in the 60's I believe it was. I was burned by one of these!
                      Last edited by Rich Moran; 11-11-2019, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Rich, are you sure what you pointed out makes the blade in this thread post war, here's a link to another Voo's (different etch (eagle) but same feature) that also has the two lines joined up which you consider to be post war.

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=20983

Russ.
                        Last edited by Bulldog; 11-11-2019, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                          Rich, are you sure what you pointed out makes the blade in this thread post war, here's a link to another Voo's (different etch (eagle) but same feature) that also has the two lines joined up which you consider to be post war.

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=20983

Russ.
                          Russ, 1st of all, the dagger is original WWII produced, THE ETCH IS NOT!

All I see is what looks to be a age blemish line seen in your link and not the etched connected lines as the example of subject blade this thread illustrates...if you hove Tom Johnson reference books on daggers, one of the volumes has a Luft etched Voss dagger and that 1 has no connecting line on it's blade & it is a real Voss WWII etched blade. I cant post images of it because I am no longer a paying subscriber.

FYI several years ago all I collected were daggers. I had both Army and Luft etched Voss blades and spent a lot of time clarifying what consists of original vs post war etching. The reason for that was I was taken in by one of these daggers and lost $ on it. Buyer beware!!

The question begs to be asked, why does 1 side have the line and the other does not? For all of blade makers quality, why did that error escape quality control? Not a ettched Voss quality on WWII etched Army/Luft blades.!

My sole reason for posting this info is so collectors won't be taken in by these bogus items & lose thousands on them.

Comment

Rich, there are different templates front and back, some with the Voos TM and some with GES. GESCH. with the Voos TM, so I don't agree with your lines assessment. (Maybe someone who attacked your Voos was in error. Just my opinion.

Comment

Hi Rich!
                              I think time and research may be a little more now then when you were collecting daggers. These etches are not my greatest area but, Serge, Ron and Billy are really good! I am sure there were multiple templates that were used. Secondly, no "expert" is really an "expert", if someone thinks they are you better run! Also, the Germans were not as perfect as people think. There are a lot of mistakes and short cuts they took.
                              Would you by any chance still have pictures of your dagger? I have seen several nightmare stories of people buy from "experts"!
                              Best Wishes,
                              Bob
                              www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X