No announcement yet.

Feldhernhalle Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to disappoint, but this won't be a blood sport (this time ). I agree that while the standard FHH gets a "10" for style, it gets about a "3" for quality and craftsmanship. I think my opinion was reflected in the above posts, but if it was not, consider it so stated

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but can anyone produce any period documentation that ties this dagger down to the Feldherrnhalle Standarte?

An edition of 'Der SA-Mann', no. 47/1938, simply refers to this dagger as the 'SA-Fuehrerdolch Modell 1937' with no reference at all to FHH.

Sure, the dagger was worn by FHH officiers, but it was also worn by members of Lutze's staff. This was a period when moves were afoot to integrate FHH men into the Wehrmacht...........later resulting in the Feldherrnhalle Regiment of the army, and associated Luftwaffe units.

So could this have been a dagger for a sort of 'Waffen-SA' which never ultimately developed? In that case. it would have gone to FHH officers first, then to other SA officers attached to the Wehrmacht later on.

This is just a theory of mine, but the SS and the NSKK were designing more 'military-looking' daggers around this time for their military troops, so why not the SA?

I think it was just the circumstances of the time that resulted in this dagger starting and stopping with the FHH. I don't think it was a special dagger designed for the FHH alone. Otherwise, why not a 'LAH Dagger' for the LSSAH, etc??

Comment

Robin: Excellent query. I believe we conclude that it was a FHH dagger because we always see FHH officers wearing it in period photos. However, we also see Italian Generals wearing them too!

Comment

The link below is from documentation relating to the Nuernberg Trials. It goes on at length about the close relationship between the SA and the military. The FHH Standarte is specifically mentioned, with the fact that service in the FHH (like the SS-VT) counted as military service in lieu of the draft, or conscription.

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/imt/tgmwc...-03-23-04.html

Comment

Mr.Lumsden, is it possibl to show here the mentioned edition of 'Der SA-Mann', no. 47/1938, simply refers to this dagger as the 'SA-Fuehrerdolch Modell 1937' with no reference at all to FHH because perhaps the full article is the key to this case.
            Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by daggers
              Mr.Lumsden, is it possibl to show here the mentioned edition of 'Der SA-Mann', no. 47/1938, simply refers to this dagger as the 'SA-Fuehrerdolch Modell 1937' with no reference at all to FHH because perhaps the full article is the key to this case.
              Thank you in advance.
              Sorry. I don't have a copy of the publication. It was referred to in another document. Perhaps another member here has access to these? I would like to see it myself.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X