VERY UNUSUAL Robert Klaas Seitengewehr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY UNUSUAL Robert Klaas Seitengewehr

I have decided to sell this very unusual bayonet/fighting knife/LW Forestry Officials (type) dagger, or whatever it may be. It's definitely a period piece but I've never seen such a blade made by Robert Klaas. Perhaps a custom order?

Any idea's before I post it on the e-stand as I'm sure it'll raise some inquiries.

A friend of mine posted it on a forum he belongs to some time ago where it was deemed authentic, but for what purpose?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Attached Files

To my knowledge Robert Klaas never made a bayonet with such a tang, or stag grips, yet here we have one.
    Attached Files

Comment

What you have is a klass dress bayonet blade that is in bad shape that was turned into someones garage project .. It is a simple as that.. Really nothing else to say..
      It is a Frankenstein.....
      Forum experts are just Great!!! and are all knowing..
      Last edited by damasco; 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by damasco View Post
        What you have is a klass dress bayonet blade that is in bad shape that was turned into someones garage project .. It is a simple as that.. Really nothing else to say..
        It is a Frankenstein.....
        Forum experts are just Great!!! and are all knowing..
        Looks the same to me sorry.

Comment

Show me a Robert Klaas dress bayonet (or any of their other products) with a full tang like this. TR Dress bayonets were never made with a full tang ( to my knowledge) and the blade isn't in the proper style, long, or wide enough, to be made from a combat bayonet, and if it had been made from a combat bayonet who gave it such a logo?

Next thing I'm going to read is that I went down to the local hardware store and bought a Robert Klaas makers mark die to stamp their logo onto the ricasso.

BTW, the last 2 "garage projects" I've shown on this forum.......... were quickly bought up by those who knew exactly what they were looking at. One item being purchased by a WAF sponsor. The other item being purchased for 15k and then reselling again on the internet for 35K, with some saying it was a "find of the decade"!

Yeah...."they never did that", and we know that's not true.

Comment

Just look at it..
            more you look at it the more it tells you what it is..
            Last edited by damasco; 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by damasco View Post
              In all seriousious you are incorrect.. It is plain as day to any knowledgeable collector of weapons and metal fabricator.
              It is just insulting how bad it is....
              I was joking about Forum experts being all knowing....Making fun of your friends opinion he got on the mystery forum..
              The more you look at it the worse it gets,,
              I know it may be embarrassing but we all make mistakes and must learn from them...
              I've never read the thread but he posted it on Germandagger's.com. I'm not a member there but he said it passed muster. My friend himself is a very well respected and incredibly knowledgeable collector so I'll go with what he says (& he likes it) until absolutely proven otherwise and I will still put it on the e-stand no matter how this thread goes because I already know of a few people here who have seen it in the flesh, and wanted to buy it, but I didn't want to sell it at the time.

Comment

In the past I've seen better and worse levels of workmanship, and while I'm not a professional welder myself, I do have a friend who is that could do better work than what I seem to be seeing here. The image of the work on the right arguably more problematic than the left, perhaps some better-high definition images will show something else? FP

Last edited by Frogprince; 06-20-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                  I've never read the thread but he posted it on Germandagger's.com. I'm not a member there but he said it passed muster. My friend himself is a very well respected and incredibly knowledgeable collector so I'll go with what he says (& he likes it) until absolutely proven otherwise and I will still put it on the e-stand no matter how this thread goes because I already know of a few people here who have seen it in the flesh, and wanted to buy it, but I didn't want to sell it at the time.
                  So that makes it Real??? Because of a friend of mine etc.... Because people want to buy it??? Call them and sell it than...

It really does not matter because the piece tells what it is. And by seeing how it is made it tells what it is...
                  Not your friend, the forum opinion or any uneducated buyers..
                  You must remember listing a item on a forum means nothing as it seems opinions are like .... And to you when it is the wrong opinion of course we are the unwashed..
                  But when it is this bad it is elementary..
                  May I suggest some books..... I would buy all of the Tom Wittmann Books, Tom Johnson Books and any other books Angolia you can find for starters,,, it will give you a good basic start..
                  Last edited by damasco; 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

As mentioned FP it could be done by welding on crossguard area, the blade could be too a earlier KS98 with heavier blade, and the scabbard is there correct for the one. The handle looks like inspired by Forster knife. Or reworked in combat knife manner. Detailed pictures of crossguard area same as blade dimmension could help here.b.r.Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                      As mentioned FP it could be done by welding on crossguard area, the blade could be too a earlier KS98 with heavier blade, and the scabbard is there correct for the one. The handle looks like inspired by Forster knife. Or reworked in combat knife manner. Detailed pictures of crossguard area same as blade dimmension could help here.b.r.Andy
                      Well discussed on another forum not that long ago - as far as I’m concerned the “Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonets” aspect of the Ch.A.W. / WAFFEN-LOESCHE knives is a dead end with absolutely nothing that has been found that is period to support it. And good luck trying to find a rifle that you can attach the knife to if you don’t have any electrical or duct tape. But as AndyB pointed out with his reference to combat knives (and service bayonets) is that they have full width blade tangs. And the more I look at the side to side offsets (and gaps?) in the attached image (blade vs. the tang area) of the knife in question - the more it looks to me like an attempt to simulate a full width tang that fails. With of course the Caveat that I had to modify the image to make it more discernible, which can introduce digital artifacts - also agreeing with him that some much better pictures are needed. FP

Comment

At this point none of this matters. I just returned from the home of an advanced TR edged weapons collector (who's also a knife maker) having had told him about this blade while the forum was down all day yesterday. I showed him the blade , and this thread (as of two hours ago), he said it's "right as rain", albeit an anomaly, but he liked it, and bought it! He also said he no longer visits this forum due to the false information that runs rampant here, to which I agreed.

It's found a good home with someone who knows what they're looking at and I am happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                          At this point none of this matters. I just returned from the home of an advanced TR edged weapons collector (who's also a knife maker) having had told him about this blade while the forum was down all day yesterday. I showed him the blade , and this thread (as of two hours ago), he said it's "right as rain", albeit an anomaly, but he liked it, and bought it! He also said he no longer visits this forum due to the false information that runs rampant here, to which I agreed.

It's found a good home with someone who knows what they're looking at and I am happy with that.
                          Hmm maybe it was Craig Gottlieb. Congrats with pawning off your crude garage creation.

Comment

And if it has been already sold - unfortunately that short circuits the request for some more pictures. A lot of what has been said was apparently based on some of the opinions posted on GDC. And today when I revisited that website, I found that unlike here, the photos there made it look like smooth finished dome headed brass rivets were used to attach the grips as well as having obscured or unknown small details. Please note: I'm not saying anything was done intentionally. But it does IMO call into question assessments made where the viewer for any reason is not provided with a true picture of what is actually there. FP

Comment

Originally posted by vonstubben View Post
                              at this point none of this matters. I just returned from the home of an advanced tr edged weapons collector (who's also a knife maker) having had told him about this blade while the forum was down all day yesterday. I showed him the blade , and this thread (as of two hours ago), he said it's "right as rain", albeit an anomaly, but he liked it, and bought it! He also said he no longer visits this forum due to the false information that runs rampant here, to which i agreed.

It's found a good home with someone who knows what they're looking at and i am happy with that.
                              boy that really makes it real now!!
                              Last edited by damasco; 06-22-2018, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X