Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non matching SA dagger and scabbard?

All,

I recently purchased a very nice early period SA dagger with a nice deep acid etch on the blade. The scabbard, however, is of transitional to late manufacture. The scabbard to cross-guard fit is excellent, but it has magnetic fittings with the exception of the hangar ring (which is not magnetic, nickel/silver just like the dagger fittings). The scabbard is painted brown as opposed to annodized. When the dagger is hanging in the scabbard, the hangar loop is resting on one of the scabbard screws, which seems odd as there are no markings on the screw to indicate that it had been rubbing against the ring (as would perhaps be expected if worn for any length of time. The blade appears to have been polished as well with little to no cross graining visible even when under magnification (60X), .the crossgraining shows as the faint lines going from "NW to SE," in the pic, but this in not the main issue. My primary question is; is it feasible that this scabbard is original to the dagger? If not, any idea of the value or if this would make resale at some later date much more difficult? Any input would be very helpful.

Best Regards,
    Sterling
    Attached Files

More pics

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

more pics

more pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Some additional pics

Some additional pics:
        Attached Files

Comment

The scabbard is not original to the dagger so you will have a tough time selling it for anything but parts. Sorry...

Comment

The scabbard fittings look plated so it is a wrong scabbard.
            You can sell it as is, no need to destroy this dagger by parting it out. It will sell if the price is right. Or you can just replace the scabbard with the early one.

Comment

Saar,

Thanks for your response! I could look for an annodized one, but one of my concerns is that, there are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer (even within the same factory). If I get an annodized scabbard, the fit to the crossguard may be off.

Originally posted by saar View Post
              The scabbard fittings look plated so it is a wrong scabbard.
              You can sell it as is, no need to destroy this dagger by parting it out. It will sell if the price is right. Or you can just replace the scabbard with the early one.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!

Originally posted by Skyline Drive View Post
                The scabbard is not original to the dagger so you will have a tough time selling it for anything but parts. Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Skyline Drive View Post
                  1+

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X