UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this 1st model Luft dagger look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could be the unsharp photos, but I think that the mm is NOT like what you would expect from this maker. The F and W in F.W HÖLLER should be the same size. I can see no dots over the O in HÖLLER. FW Höller is a rare maker among original 1st model LW daggers.
    Condition seem to be excellent. If its orginal the vaule should be much higher than $425.
    But once again the photos are really bad, should look like this.

Comment

I have given up on taking more bad photos and switched to taking bad scans. Here is the best I can come up with. I fear that there is no dots over the O and overall the makers mark looks sloppy. I await the verdict, but feel that this one will be returned.

Thanks to those who replied and helped.

JasonS
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JasonS; 02-19-2005, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Jason,
        You may want to spend your money on a nice digital camera if you don't buy the Luft 1. As much as you post, it will be worth every penny.
        Make sure to get one with the largest size lens you can find and also high megapixel. A large lense will let you take real sharp close ups that are what you need for posting. Avoid the smaller camera's with the small diameter lenses.
        I like Cannon and Sony and the prices have really come down.
        Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott. I got this camera for Christmas and once in awhile I can get some great closeups. Its a HP 4.1 mp and will come in handy at parties and vacations, but I think you are correct. I will need to get a better camera soon.

Jason

Comment

Jason,

Take the dagger outside to photograph - natural light. Does your camera have a macro mode? Experiment with shots from different distances with and without macro on. I find I can get some of my better detailed pics by standing back to take the pic and then 'zoom in' on the section I'm after on the PC. A tripod can make things easier although you can get great pics without one. Most of these cameras have a two stage trigger; the initial depression locks the focus; the second fires; are you just jabbing the button or depressing it slowly?

Guys,

Jason is sweating on a very good deal here IF the dagger is an original. We have had 156 people take a look and only a few have expressed an opinion on it

There are a number of knowledgeable people hanging out on this forum.

C'mon, what d' y'all think?

Cheers,
            David.
            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Borrowed from Lakesidetrader, hope you don't mind Paul?
              Attached Files
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

From the photos posted, it looks original to me. The clip has been removed and turned around (sometimes the Germans did this, especially if they had some war injury for easy of attachment to the belt loop). Condition of the Aluminum models is usually this nice as they don't age, especially if the aluminum doesn't develop the rot and this one with all the gold and no leather damage appears not to have seen any abuse. While the TM is not too clear, it looks original to me. Also, Holler in the aluminum 1st Luft model is NOT rare.
                Ron Weinand
                Weinand Militaria

Comment

Thanks Dave for the advice. It has been raining now for 2 days, so I tried what you said indoors and here are the results. I think you should put on a clinic.

Ron, thanks for your input here too. Nice to see you on the forum.

Here is a makers mark close up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I owe you guys a few cigars here for all your help in the past and no doubt the future. This maybe the last dagger purchase for some time. I will let you know after the wifes doctor visit Monday. (hint... ) but if its good news cigars will be available for the dagger collectors

JasonS
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm with Ron...still think the dagger is ok with the exception of the stripped pommel. I'm not a big fan of the aluminum pieces - mainly because they just look "cheap" when compared to nice, heavy, early example. Give me one with the early, bevelled chain links (i.e., David Malsch) for only a couple hundred bucks more any day.

With that said, if you don't mind taking on a project (repairing/replacing the pommel) and the piece is priced right, and you're not planning to upgrade later (the aluminum ones are harder to sell!)...it boils down to whether it's a piece you'd be happy with.

Sorry if thast sounds like a cop-out, but the man writing the check has to be the final judge.

Good luck!
                      Skip

Comment

Better pics! Well done Jason

I realise I am up against the big guns here but I still don't like it. Yes you can find very clean ally lufts but this is just too clean for me. I don't like that poorly defined mm and I don't like the wire wrap drilled into the grip in plain sight instead of tucked neatly behind the ferrule.

The pommel would be easily repairable so that has no bearing on my opinion.

Sorry Jason but I can only be honest and state that I would not personally buy this dagger and I like the ally ones.

Cheers,
                        David.

Comment

I'll go out on a limb here and agree with David's observations. The grip wire itself looks wrong aside from terminating in exposed holes. I just can't buy that trademark. The snap clip looks cheesy and the "ges. gesch" is usually stamped inside a recess. I vote repro.

Comment

Me again,

At the risk of appearing to contradict myself, this looks like a case where the dagger is better left where it is. There have been some valid points raised, but IMHO the real issue here is whether a dagger with so many questions/concerns around it is worth buying.

Still not convinced that dagger is a repro, but 1st Luft's are still relatively easy to find and I've got a feeling that down the road you would be happier with one (preferably an earlier. non-aluminum example) with no "baggage".

Best,
                            Skip

Comment

I still don't like that trade mark. Tommy

Comment

No worries fellows. I think this one might be going back. I would prefer to have an item that is a little more solid and gets a thumbs up all the way around.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

JasonS

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X