Police Bayonet opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Bayonet opinions

A local seller has a Police Bayonet for sale. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I do collect police items, but mainly cloth eagles. My knowledge of edged weapons is very limited.

Thanks, Randy
    Attached Files

Police Bayonet

Matching numbers
    Attached Files

Comment

Police Dress Bayonet

additional photos
      Attached Files

Comment

Original TR re-worked police bayonet produced by F.W. Holler Solingen.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/album
        Last edited by Schlange; 07-27-2016, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I agree, nice original looking & unmessed with example. Good to see matching numbers & the early Holler mark is scarce. Depending on the asking price, I'd say it's a nice one to acquire.

Comment

Nice bayo.

John

Comment

Same opinion, on spine of blade could be star/letter proof? b.r.Andy

Comment

Hey Randy, this bayonet would display well with your police collection. Good luck on negotiations. Keep us posted!!

Mat J

Comment

Interestingly, it's got an Alcoso hilt. I know some Clemen & Jung examples also show Alcos hilts. A very nice bayonet overall, all it needs is a decent frog & knot to really pretty it up. Would look great with a tunic.

Comment

Randy, I have a small collection of these. They are one of the more beautiful daggers/bayonets . I would argue though that this is a dagger and not a bayonet. The bayonet type of these will actually fit onto a rifle. These LOOK like a bayonet but are not. The actual bayonet is much more scarce than the dagger. I have bought them for as little as $300 and likely paid $650 on the high end. I am still looking for an actual bayonet as all I have come across so far have been the dagger type. Also if you pick it up keep an eye out for a proper frog and portapee/troddel. It makes for a stunning display with a Police buckle and belt!

Comment

Jerry,

Are you distinguishing Polizei bayonets with slots as opposed to those without or referring to another item entirely?

It's the same item essentially, no? I think the term bayonet comes from the fact it's suspended by a leather frog & has a single edged blade as opposed to a dagger which would have a double edged blade. JMO of course

Comment

Jerry, the German police designation was identical except for the suffix indicating whether the Polizei Seitengewehr was affixable to a rifle or not. The slotted versions are uncommon because they were designated for use only by the members of the Polizei Bereitschaft, or riot police. Your normal Prussian policeman wore these police bayonets or sidearms. A matter of semantics I guess. As long as I have messed with German police items, since 1970 or so, they have been called Police Bayonets. Of course the other state police carried different style sidearms from long bayonets to short swords. But after 1936, they were all uniformly equipped with the P.S.

Comment

Maybe so..I just find it handy as a collector to diffrentiate between the two for my own practical purposes. I have a half dozen of these I consider daggers as they are simply NOT bayonets. They "look" like a bayonet but they aint. I am on the lookout for one that actually IS a bayonet. Seems like a reasonable way to talk about them to me but I'm just and old country boy. I wish I had time to study more but pushing a needle occupy's all my spare time.

the German police designation was identical except for the suffix indicating whether the Polizei Seitengewehr was affixable to a rifle or not. See, now this has me even more confused. A bayonet is affixable to a rifle. I mean that is the very deffinition of a bayonet is it not? affixable to a rifle. What's a long knife that isn't affixable to a rifle? We know what it isn't. A bayonet. Why the German police would continue to call them bayonets when they were not is interesting. Just easier I guess to maintain the verbage.

Regardless..I find your explanation very informative and makes sense. Thanks Joe! I appreciate it. A matter of semantics I guess. HA! so true...

The slotted versions are uncommon because they were designated for use only by the members of the Polizei Bereitschaft, or riot police. Excellent! I did not know that..Thank you.

Comment

This might be the time to add to the discussion that German Police manuals also show the (ex-WW I) S. 98/05, and S. 84/98 combat types of bayonets that were specifically made to be attached to rifles. With the German Police marked combat bayonets ranging from the earlier TR period S. 84/98’s with police markings into the early 1940’s. And arguably I think even later, although the identifying markings were discontinued about the same time in the early 1940's as they were for the Kriegsmarine. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X