NCO SS Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO SS Sword

Hi, I have this sword for awhile. It doesn't have a scabbard. Is this one of the Dachau NCO swords? The reason why I am asking is because the ones that I know of don't have the metal strip running vertically up the handle. I thought only the officer's ones had the strip. It is void of any maker marks or SS ruins. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Del
    Attached Files

NCO SS Sword

pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

NCO SS Sword

Pic 3 & 4
      Attached Files

Comment

NCO SS Sword

pic 5 & 6
        Attached Files

Comment

pic 7 & 8
          Attached Files

Comment

NCO SS Sword

Pic 9
            Attached Files

Comment

It is an SS Officers sword formally known as a SS Officer Candidates sword. Most collectors now agree that all SS Officers did not receive an Honor sword with runes button on the grip. The officers who did not meet the requirements had to settle for a sword without runes. Your sword or degen appears to have the stainless fitting that are linked to Dachau.

Comment

From what I can see on my phone, it looks like a parts sword.

Comment

It is an SS Officers sword formally known as a SS Officer Candidates sword. Most collectors now agree that all SS Officers did not receive an Honor sword with runes button on the grip. The officers who did not meet the requirements had to settle for a sword without runes. Your sword or degen appears to have the stainless fitting that are linked to Dachau. It will be tough to find a scabbard as the Dachau ones were a bit thinner then other makers.

Comment

NCO SS Sword

Thanks for the replies. I think the tang might be a little bent that is why the parts don't fit evenly. If it is a parts sword maybe it was put together by GI's with left over parts. I don't think it is a reproductions parts sword.

Thanks again,
                    Del

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
                      It is an SS Officers sword formally known as a SS Officer Candidates sword. Most collectors now agree that all SS Officers did not receive an Honor sword with runes button on the grip. The officers who did not meet the requirements had to settle for a sword without runes. Your sword or degen appears to have the stainless fitting that are linked to Dachau.
                      In agreement that the so-called SS Officer Candidates sword is another most probably "collector's myth", based on wrong assumptions made many years ago, that has taken a long time to be corrected. But more to point here with this example - from what I'm seeing in the images it seems to be evidence of rust on multiple sword components, not the least of which is the brazed and rusted lower grip ferrule (unless it's some kind imaging problem). FP

Comment

I also was troubled with the rust looking stains but the more I looked the more I thought it was not rust. Maybe paint or glue? One thing that doesn't bother me is the fit. Many times I have seen ill fitting parts on Dachau swords and as Del suggested I always thought that the GI's had put them together from parts.

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
                          I also was troubled with the rust looking stains but the more I looked the more I thought it was not rust. Maybe paint or glue? One thing that doesn't bother me is the fit. Many times I have seen ill fitting parts on Dachau swords and as Del suggested I always thought that the GI's had put them together from parts.
                          I’m afraid that I’m going to have to respectfully disagree about the rust with the worst case example probably being the lower grip ferrule. My reason being that the image posted clearly shows the butt joint for the ferrule that appears to be brazed (brass colored). Which means that the steel was heated to about twice as hot as it takes to 'heat blue' steel in order to braze it. That to me in the image now looks like ordinary carbon steel that has aged/rusted and been cleaned down to bare metal. FP

Comment

FP, thank you for correcting me I believe you are right. The more I looked at the photos the more it looked like pitting under the shine. I’m still not sure as RS suggested that is a parts sword but more convinced it is not a Dachau one. I pulled one out of the safe last night and could not even find a seem on its ferrule.
                            Attached Files

Comment

NCO SS Sword

Thanks for all your replies. I took a few more pics without the flash indoors. If these are not good I will try to take some outside in the natural light. The flash must have been giving it that brown effect. I would imagine all the furls have a seam where they butt together but they are hidden by the finish. The one on my sword apparently has finish loss. That is what I am thinking.

Thanks,
                              Del
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X