SA scabbard design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA scabbard design

Just wondering why the TR would put out a nice SA dagger and blade with motto and then design a scabbard that leaves such ugly runner marks?

Thanks

Mainly because these were not intended for real use other than dress occasions. Hence they should have never really been taken in and out. On top of if it wasn't tight it would fall in and out which would never be a good situation

Blaine

Comment

A good question, Kelly. Since the SA/SS/NSKK Dagger design was produced in the millions for at least ten years, during which it went through a number of changes -- at least superficially -- one wonders why the inadequacy of the scabbard blade retainer device was not improved during those years of evolution. Of course, as we see regularly, the runner marks on blades varied from example to example; some daggers have very pronounced runner marks while others have almost none. And the marks also vary from one side of the blade to the other, indicating uneven tension on the blade.

I also wonder whether it has been noticed that the prominence of the runner marks has varied from manufacturer to manufacturer? I presume that scabbards were jobbed out to other metal crafters and then united with the daggers created by the primary cutlers before shipping the finished products to the order sources.

Interesting questions! I look forward to our colleagues' responses!

Br. James

Comment

I would imagine that these things would start leaving runner marks from day one. I wouldn't be too impressed if I was a Faithful SA dude.

Comment

They didn't make them to collect and not too much time went into design before they went into mass production.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
            They didn't make them to collect and not too much time went into design before they went into mass production.
            Agreed

Comment

Its mainly hard dirt build up on the runners over time that causes the runner marks on the blade, explained here : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=400448

Comment

I did read that before thanks. I'm of the group that believes to not touch anything unless it's needed. There is a reason why we have so much junk to deal with, too many guys over 70 years thought they knew best and were wrong.

Gunk build up is only part of the problem, design is the big issue.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X