No announcement yet.

2nd Model LW, etched. Opinions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thanks to the forum for all of your replies. It's really nice having expert information available so quickly. I believe I'll let him keep this one.

A trusted friend of mine from the western US will soon send me several daggers on approval; I look forward to getting this forum's advice on those daggers once they arrive.

Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Ambrose
      Thanks Don,

That's the kind of advice I'm seeking, advice that saves me money. Now that I look at the eagle on the blade, it does look pretty crude. Is that one of the give-aways?

Harvey
      Seems to me I've seen one of these before in person at an auction....It was later revealed to being a fake....From what I've read, repro Luftwaffe crossguard eagles generally have more detail in the feathers than the originals....I'd save my $$$$....Bodes

Comment

The schnoz on that bird looks like it belongs on a penguin more than an eagle.

Comment

Run before that eagle either throws up or sh*ts on you...man, that is one sick-looking bird!

You'll be glad you saved your money

Best,
          Skip

Comment

I only have one Heer dagger, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about these:

- Is the entire dagger bad - or just the etching?
            - Is it possible the dagger is good and someone etched the blade in an attempt to increase its value?
            - How many daggers have you dagger collectors run across where the dagger is good but the blade has been screwed with?
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

In my opinion , only the blade with etching are fake , the rest of the dagger-parts looks good .

Comment

Most probably a good dagger with a postwar (badly) etched blade. The term etched is actually more technically correct than engraved, which is the word thrown around a lot when speaking of this type of dagger. The design was applied to the blade by acid etching around a coat of wax that was laid out using a template. Engraving would imply that the design was actually 'scratched' into/on the blade by means of a metal tool.

One thing to look for when dealing with etched blades is the inclusion of a pair of laurel (some say oak) sprigs under the eagle. As a general rule, if the etch pattern doesn't have them, they will seldom merit so much as a second glance from most experienced collectors.

I'll follow up later with a photo of an etched 2nd Model Luftwaffe dagger blade from my collection.

Best,
                Skip

Comment

The seller now accepts that the blade is fake. He has offered to sell the dagger for $150. Are the original parts worth that kind of money? How hard is it to find an original, unetched, blade?

Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Ambrose
                    The seller now accepts that the blade is fake. He has offered to sell the dagger for $150. Are the original parts worth that kind of money? How hard is it to find an original, unetched, blade?

Harvey
                    The blade is not that hard to find. T. Johnson has several on his site from $85-$150+

JasonS

Comment

Whatever you do to it it's never going to be a 100% original unscrewed with piece and you will never be happy with it .
                      Save up and get a genuine example from a top dealer, it might cost more buying from the top men, but if you are relatively inexperienced it's the way to go for your own peace of mind.

Comment

I surely appreciate everyone's advice. I decided not to purchase this dagger, regardless of price. Paul's right, it would always be a 'parts' dagger and I would not want it. Thanks everyone.

PS: I have three daggers coming soon from a trusted friend, with a money-back warranty. I hope you guys will give me some quick opinions on them when they arrive.

Cheers

Originally posted by Paul Scott
                        Whatever you do to it it's never going to be a 100% original unscrewed with piece and you will never be happy with it .
                        Save up and get a genuine example from a top dealer, it might cost more buying from the top men, but if you are relatively inexperienced it's the way to go for your own peace of mind.

Comment

You took good advise.Afew years ago you could swap a blade today with the advanced books you better get the right blade with the right fittings(crossguard,pommel etc)Most collectors have the books to check everything.Also I would not buy any Luft or Army etch with the C&J logo.

Comment

Good advice ED. Most collectors avoid both C+J and Luneschloss etched pieces. Although there may be a few good examples out there these were heavily reproduced in the etched form. I pity the collector with an original example as they would always have to be defending it!
                            www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X