This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Dagger Crossguard Reference

Been working on my crossguard reference page here is a link to the page.

http://tom-kendall.com/ww2-collector...reference.html

Of particular interest to army collectors will be these Entry’s

1) Early Generic (EG) & Late Generic (LG)
    EG Type-1
    EG Type-2
    EG Type-3
    EG Type-4
    LG A
    LG B
    2) Eickhorn Aluminum Type-1
    3) Voos High Lift – Newly discovered Type
    4) WKC Type 1.5 – Newly discovered Type
    5) No mention of the Wingen Type-2 & Herder Type-1 as I believe these to be a LG-B (B Generic)

The format is as follows

Line-1-Name of producer/MFG.
    Line-2-Pictures of crossguards
    Line-3-In house produced guards
    Line-4-Other crossguards used by manufacturer in some cases with specific hand enhancement techniques attributable to listed producer.

Of course these are my observations & opinions and I look forward some feedback and discussion on this topic

Originally posted by WW2-Collector View Post
    Been working on my crossguard reference page here is a link to the page.

http://tom-kendall.com/ww2-collector...reference.html

Of particular interest to army collectors will be these Entry’s

1) Early Generic (EG) & Late Generic (LG)
    EG Type-1
    EG Type-2
    EG Type-3
    EG Type-4
    LG A
    LG B
    2) Eickhorn Aluminum Type-1
    3) Voos High Lift – Newly discovered Type
    4) WKC Type 1.5 – Newly discovered Type
    5) No mention of the Wingen Type-2 & Herder Type-1 as I believe these to be a LG-B (B Generic)

The format is as follows

Line-1-Name of producer/MFG.
    Line-2-Pictures of crossguards
    Line-3-In house produced guards
    Line-4-Other crossguards used by manufacturer in some cases with specific hand enhancement techniques attributable to listed producer.

Of course these are my observations & opinions and I look forward some feedback and discussion on this topic
    Nice. Thank you.

Comment

Great work, Tom.

John

Comment

Exquisite ...

Comment

Wow. A lot of effort should help fellow collectors.

(I know it helped me.)

Thanks!

Comment

A lot of work and expense went in to putting these many rare guards together! I'm sure it will still grow too! Thanks Tom! Best guard reference in the WORLD! Best, Kevin.

Comment

Tom, A great quality contribution to the dagger world. Looks great.

Comment

Great Job Tom!
                www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Fabulous work Tom

Regards, Wim
                  Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Many thanks guys I appreciate the comments As many of you know I collect by crossguard variations and down to 3-4 to complete my collection several of those quite common just looking for something special. Having said that I am likely to buy any army that strikes my fancy I would entertain comments in particular on my belief the Wingen Type-2 and the Herder Type-1 is simply a LG-B. Granted these are usually/sometimes finished in the later nickel finish but the same guard. Also of particular interest to me is the Holler Type-4/Pack Type-3 with punched eye. I am beginning to believe this is also not a good variation I would love to see a few examples posted. Having said that I do now believe that Horster used the Pack Type-3 with a punched eye and plan on updating that info to my page I have seen many examples of this combination often still retaining generous portions of lacquer. Army collectors love to hear your thoughts on these matters. Also I expected to take some questions on my Type system regarding what I have coined the Early Generic guards simply they are early made generic guards primarily but not exclusively used by smaller producers who did not make their own guards in house. You see the same thing later in the period with the later generic A&B and in allot of cases compare the users of the Early generic guards to the users of the later generic guards and you will see a pattern of sorts as some of these makers purchased and used generic guards throughout production. Besides the Generic guards you see allot of usages throughout the period of the Pack guards & the WKC guards as the primary ones they obviously sold guards to anyone who wanted to purchase. But what’s fascinating is when you can attribute specific hand enhancement techniques to these guards done by the company that purchased them.

Comment

Voos HighLift

And then you have the Voos High Lift guard

Comment

Good job my friend

Comment

Tom, I would agree on the Wingen and Herder being simply type "B" with their finish of choice.. always wondered why they ended up being listed as individual guards to those makers? I like your theory on the early generic guard users going on to use later "A and B" types.. makes sense to me as quite a few of these small volume makers were users of early generic fittings, while others known for using generic guards like Anton Wingen tried their own guard only very briefly, strange! I have pondered the Holler 4th also, seems strange that they seem to have a good bit of hand work on them.. unlikely for the latest guard? I would propose that the Holler 4th may indeed be the 3rd type used then they went to the totally unenhanced guard that is presently known as the 3rd type.

Shame we cant find some documentation or factory pics that would clue us in to which makers may have been the producers of some of these generic guards.. early or late, I feel that one of the users of each of these must have been the original producer of that type of guard.

I feel confident that new and interesting variations will continue to surface and baffle us (especially on early pieces), challenging the "accepted" norms... that's what I like about these Heers! Best, Kevin.

Comment

Hallo Tom, a great job

There is an other good page about Heer daggers, with a lot of good photos from difference makers of daggers, crossguards and so on. It is in German, but the photos and the information are great.

http://www.heeresdolch.de/

Regards
                            Winfried

Comment

I like your system of early generic and late generic and agree with you about the Wingen type 2 and Herder type 1 being a late generic B. Do you think that Pack produced the early generics, maybe 1 and 3, as the wing shape and chest feathering looks a lot like pack. I am a novice when it comes to army daggers though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X