Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Dagger /Damascus blade name..

Hi Guys,

My experience with daggers, blades ect is limited, but I was wondering is it possible to find more info on the name on the blade..Lt Gerd Lau (Lieutenant Gerhard Lau)

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated. thanks guys.

Sorry for flash in the photo.

Luft dagger blade.jpg

The blade is not true damascus. It is artificial damascus. By artificial I mean that the pattern is etched on to the surface of a carbon steel blade. The blade steel is not damascus, it is just surface etched to mimic true damascus. You can see where the wax 'damascus' template has dislodged prior to etching near one of the letters.

True damascus is forge welded laminate steel and the pattern is forged into the steel blade. The pattern is then brought out using an acid.

Hope this helps some.

Is there any tang markings or trademark on this blade?

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Not a dagger that I would be comfortable with.

Comment

What is the maker mark?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
          The blade is not true damascus. It is artificial damascus. By artificial I mean that the pattern is etched on to the surface of a carbon steel blade. The blade steel is not damascus, it is just surface etched to mimic true damascus. You can see where the wax 'damascus' template has dislodged prior to etching near one of the letters.

True damascus is forge welded laminate steel and the pattern is forged into the steel blade. The pattern is then brought out using an acid.

Hope this helps some.

Is there any tang markings or trademark on this blade?

Tony
          Thanks Tony for your breakdown much appreciated , I really have no idea with blades in general and was wanting to research the name on the blade out of interest, also its not my item belongs to someone I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichskanzler View Post
            What is the maker mark?
            If I remember correctly the maker was Eickhorn ? with the little Squirrel/rabbit logo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X