Question on a SA dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on a SA dagger

Since I collect mostly cloth I do not know much about this. My questions are: Are there any occasion that a SA dagger would come with a black scabbard? Does the eagle in the handle normally oxidize?

Thanks,

Bill

The NSKK used an SA dagger with black finished scabbard. By oxidize, do you mean rust, show green corrosion, or go to grey/white? The eagles were made of different materials at different times (the quality of the material decreased as the war progressed until the production of the daggers ceased completely) which react differently to the environment.
    Erich

Originally posted by luftwaffeguy
    Since I collect mostly cloth I do not know much about this. My questions are: Are there any occasion that a SA dagger would come with a black scabbard? Does the eagle in the handle normally oxidize?

Thanks,

Bill
    Festina lente!

Comment

I will have to check the exact color/type of corrosion when I get home.
      (I'll need the wife or kids to tell me the color since I am color blind.)

Thanks for your reply,
      Bill
      Originally posted by Erich
      The NSKK used an SA dagger with black finished scabbard. By oxidize, do you mean rust, show green corrosion, or go to grey/white? The eagles were made of different materials at different times (the quality of the material decreased as the war progressed until the production of the daggers ceased completely) which react differently to the environment.
      Erich

Comment

No problem, Bill!
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

My guess is that it's probably an RZM dagger with a zinc eagle. These had a tendency to loose their finish that gives them a somewhat unsightly look.
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Yes it is marked RZM and a zinc makes sense as to its appearance.
            What type of hanger would be used with this dagger?
            Thanks,

Bill
            Last edited by luftwaffeguy; 09-13-2004, 03:33 PM. Reason: added question.

Comment

It would have been accompanied by a black leather hanger affixed to the ring on the upper scabbard fitting. Ideally, the snap/clip on the hanger should be RZM marked as well.

Best,
              Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X