Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Dagger - Julius Krebs?

Hi,
    I am not a dagger man but would like a good quality manufacturer marked one to go with my collection. I've found this dagger which is quite nice overall and is just over $400 inc portepee. However, I compared the eagle with another Krebs dagger on Wittmans site and it looked totally different. Comments please anybody!? Thanks in anticipation.

John

email is preferable for replies
    wattoj67@hotmail.com

thanks
    Attached Files

John,

The crossguard pictured in your post appears to be the "A type generic" crossguard shown on page 79 of Wittmann's Army book. On page 78, Tom lists Carl Julius Krebs as one of the makers that made use of the "A type generic" and states that it was the most widely used generic crossguard.
    Skip

Comment

Skip

I have a unamed dagger with the samewide crossguard, is there anyway that I could possible tell where this dagger would have been made, by this I mean by which maker, or were there more than a few makers that used the wide generic crossguard?. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comment

Thank you to all who answered inc the emails!

John

Comment

My Krebs Heer has the same guard as yours.Other makers that used this guard(from Wittmann's book) are:Rudolf Buckel,Cleman & Jung,AES,Kolping,Klass,Fredericus,Puma,ASSO,Paul Seilheimer.Tiger,WMW Waffen,and Emil Voos.There probably are others that used this guard at one time or another.

Question for those who responded via email,why did you email and not post your answer here?I,for one,would like to learn as much as possible about edged weapons,but it takes a lot longer when information remains private.

Comment

Originally posted by nellyp51
            Skip

I have a unamed dagger with the samewide crossguard, is there anyway that I could possible tell where this dagger would have been made, by this I mean by which maker, or were there more than a few makers that used the wide generic crossguard?. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
            It becomes pretty difficult to nail down the maker in this case, because many of the makers who used generic crossguards also purchased their scabbards, grips, and other components, effectively leaving no identifying characteristics. The list Rick provided is the complete, recognized list of makers that used the crossguard in question. The only other means of positively identifying the maker that I can think of would to remove the grip and see if there was a distinctive mark on the tang.

Best,
            Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Yankowski
              Question for those who responded via email,why did you email and not post your answer here?I,for one,would like to learn as much as possible about edged weapons,but it takes a lot longer when information remains private.
              Rich,

John specifically requested replies via e-mail. I assumed he would pick them up at work next day or something if he didn't have web access there. I did think of double posting to the thread also but for some reason didn't bother.

You are right of course, the info should be on the forum for the benefit of all.

Same crossguard on my Seilheimer here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=62408

Cheers,
              David.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

My mistake!I overlooked the part in the first post that said emails were preferred!I'll go back to the peanut gallery now!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X