Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cross Dagger

Hi,
    What do you think about this dagger? Original? Copy?
    No maker mark. If original, how much can I pay for the dagger?
    Thanks,
    Otto

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3

Comment

Pic4

Comment

Pic 5

Comment

Interesting.

Before I start I have not yet had the pleasure of handling one of these hewers and am no expert.

Scabbard and frog both look fine to me. The degree of wear to the hewer is uniform and consistent. These were rarely if ever? maker marked. I have never seen one with white grips, always black. The obverse grip is knurled as it should be, likewise the reverse grip being smooth is correct. In all of my reference photos the screw heads in the grip are flush fitting, yours appear to be recessed. It may be the photo but the obverse grip plate appears to be a bad fit.

The DRK eagle also looks to have poor detail, could be wear or again the quality of the photo.

The crossguard appears crooked also. In the obverse shot it is running downhill left to right. The reverse view is correspondingly downhill right to left.

I am undecided as to originality especially considering the grip, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chip in.

In this condition, if real, I would say about $350 - $500 maybe?

David.
            Last edited by David C; 09-10-2004, 05:05 PM. Reason: spotted the apparent misaligned crossguard
            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I looked at the one that is in my collection besides the the grip on mine being black the sheath on mine has no rivits and is stamped in rear top leather with eagle and swastika.The blade on mine is marked under blank side of oval decoration :Ges Geschutzt. .Also the set screws for handle on one pictured seem to be countersunk quit a bit more than mine.I paid $450.00 for mine 2 years ago.If it is a fake i would say it is a darn good one. But i am inclined to believe that it is late war era.

Comment

It is a Robert Klaas DRK. Tough to tell by the picture of the eagle. Probably this is a late pot metal crossguard and the metal is not holding up well to age. The blade condition and quality is consistant with later production. I am pretty though sure those grips never left the factory that color.
                Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Yes it's Robert Klass marked under the grips.
                  Otto

Comment

the wear on the blade doesnt match the scabbard or frog. REpaint? Handleplates looks like new and also dont match the wear imo.

Comment

I agree with Jeff...late war production parts, but I've never seen white grip plates. My best guess is that it's a parts dagger.

I would be hesitant to comment re: value

Hope that helps...sorry I can't be more conclusive,
                      Skip

Comment

Thanks Skip,

Otto

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X