Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k98 kriegsmarine bayonet

Hello,

Here the new k98 kriegsmarine bayonet I just hold on a known dealer website.

Are the kriegsmarine reception marks all ok ? It's ok for me, I just need a verification.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Salut Dimitri

Nice bayonet with a correct KM marking.
      Regards
      Alain

Comment

attention gentlemen, be serious with your comments and look closer!!!

the "2" and the "6" are NOT THE SAME figues on the bayonet and on the scabbard.

I have never seen this before in any of matching kriegsmarine bayonet!

my humble advice: the number on the scabbard is original, the number on the bayonet is not done at the same time of the scabbard

does this ring a bell?
        Last edited by glaser; 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hello
          The serial number of the balde and of the scabbard match. It would be correct the KM numbers match. The "six" seem not be the same. Maybe they were to used and almost canceled. Somebody tought it would better to mark them again ???
          Regards
          Alain

Comment

Thanks, I would appreciate to have more opinions.

Comment

I will provide my personal feeling after my own research that the number on the bayonet has been period redone.

I am going to explain me...

The fact is the bayonet and the scabbard are matching WKC 1937 with same number (5911 j).

I think we need to look closely at the markings of the bayonet itself :

The "N" of Nordsee and the "k" on the right of the number we can see are very faded and not the number, as this one was unreadable (certainly after big and long time of use, for a 1937 dated bayonet, I think it's logical), the period owner or the period company gunsmith has redone this number for be more readable. It's why they are different style of numbers.

The markings on the scabbard are IMO intact because they were protected by the leather frog, it's why they are less used than on the bayonet.

Also I have seen a lot of WKC 1937 bayonets who were issued to the kriegsmarine units and they are all with 4 numbers.

Anf finally I think this is a period legit KM used bayonet.

Comment

The bayonet is a factory matched WKC that looks to be rust blued appropriate to that time frame. With something to keep in mind with the Nordsee naval property/inventory markings - being that the script type “N” lettering was not stamped. But individually pantograph engraved at a later time and place after the bayonets were delivered. So while I would like to see matching fonts - I also don’t see (at this level of camera resolution) obvious signs of a forgery. FP

Comment

bajonet

Hello
                  the bajonet is comming from a old man in holland ,the man has it in from 1945 in den helder . It was no collector , and nobody working
                  on the bajonet.
                  and look this link , so you can see a lot of different stamps.
                  http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/84-98%20files/KM%2084-98's/km.html
                  Thanks willem

Comment

kriegsmarine bajonet

Willem, interesting link but even this man writes what I suggested, see his comments at the end of your link: "Matching property KM markings should be found on correctly matched bayonet and scabbard pieces. Only by later reworks, could be find any reserialed parts."

On his pictures I found no matching bayonet/scabbard were the KM numbers had a different script (font). On the one that was reworked with a new number, you can clearly see the remainders of the old previous number.

best greetings

Comment

Dimitri D: I like your explanation in #7, this is indeed a possible explanation

I hope you managed to buy it!

Comment

I believe is a correct piece, someone in war probably revived the unreadable digits on bayonet, but the matching numbers on bayonet and Scabbard are correct.b.r.Andy

Comment

Nice Nordsee KM bayonet! Hard to find a good KM anymore. timothy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X