X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German fighting knife

Hello gents,

What is your opinion about this knife ?

Btw what mean "W" stamp on blade ? - maker ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks good...'W' is the maker's mark, alas unknown...

Comment

Originally posted by FestungSpanien View Post
      Looks good...'W' is the maker's mark, alas unknown...
      Do you can confirm, that the "W" stands for a maker ?

Anyway, IMO a legit Kampfmesser der Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe !

Rgd. the "W": the folks mean, it´s the maker ...

There´s also known the mark "S", stamped upon the blade of such knive´s, (collectors mean, the "S" stands for Solingen ... ?

Such fighting knives of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe also are known without any marks upon the blade, also, with the Lufwaffe acceptance mark "eagle 5", (or, "eagle 6"), stamped upon the blade.

Comment

Hi Reibert,

Nice talking to you again

Without any other proper and better explanation I would say that yes, it is the maker's mark IMHO. Note that it is my personal opinion and would love anyother member confirming it or proving me wrong.
        But what does it stand for? Who knows...
        I have an 'S' marked one and until further notice it means a maker's mark code to me. 'S' for 'Solingen' sounds pretty much generic to me...
        As the knife in this thread has no LW acceptance stamp (5 or 6), I would classify it as WH one, generally speaking, so to say that anyone could have used it.

Regards,
        Ace

Originally posted by Reibert-Austria View Post
        Do you can confirm, that the "W" stands for a maker ?

Anyway, IMO a legit Kampfmesser der Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe !

Rgd. the "W": the folks mean, it´s the maker ...

There´s also known the mark "S", stamped upon the blade of such knive´s, (collectors mean, the "S" stands for Solingen ... ?

Such fighting knives of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe also are known without any marks upon the blade, also, with the Lufwaffe acceptance mark "eagle 5", (or, "eagle 6"), stamped upon the blade.

Comment

Hello !

It´s very interesting, (and a pitty ! ), that´s not very much known about German WWII fighting knives ! ...

In this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...teriemesser+42

I tried to sum informations regarding the Infanteriemesser 42 of the Wehrmacht-Heer.
          As you can see, that´s not that much informations ! ...

In 1942 the production of fighting knives for the Wehrmacht-Heer started with the Infanteriemesser 42.
          But, there´re are some other models of fighting knives, produced for the Wehrmacht-Heer also !

Also from 1942 on, (parallel), the production of the Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe started.

You say:
          ... "As the knife in this thread has no LW acceptance stamp (5 or 6), I would classify it as WH one, generally speaking, so to say that anyone could have used it." ...

You are right, anyone could have used it but you´re wrong if you mean, Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe without Luftwaffe acceptance mark were made for the Wehrmacht-Heer !

The Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe, the Gravity knife of the Luftwaffe, , (1st and 2nd pattern, also the 3rd pattern), and the Luftwaffen Bord-Machete, (1st and 2nd pattern), were made only for the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe.
          For example: There´re, (officer´s), daggers of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe, (without the WL-acceptance mark), known, and they were´nt made for the Wehrmacht-Heer !

All in all, there´re many fighting knives of the WL and the WH left, but there´s really not much known regarding such German blank weapons ...

Best,

R.
          Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Reibert,

Thanks for the link, I missed it
            You the Man when it comes to fighting knives

Cheers,
            Ace

Hello !

It´s very interesting, (and a pitty ! ), that´s not very much known about German WWII fighting knives ! ...

In this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...teriemesser+42

I tried to sum informations regarding the Infanteriemesser 42 of the Wehrmacht-Heer.
            As you can see, that´s not that much informations ! ...

In 1942 the production of fighting knives for the Wehrmacht-Heer started with the Infanteriemesser 42.
            But, there´re are some other models of fighting knives, produced for the Wehrmacht-Heer also !

Also from 1942 on, (parallel), the production of the Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe started.

You say:
            ... "As the knife in this thread has no LW acceptance stamp (5 or 6), I would classify it as WH one, generally speaking, so to say that anyone could have used it." ...

You are right, anyone could have used it but you´re wrong if you mean, Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe without Luftwaffe acceptance mark were made for the Wehrmacht-Heer !

The Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe, the Gravity knife of the Luftwaffe, , (1st and 2nd pattern, also the 3rd pattern), and the Luftwaffen Bord-Machete, (1st and 2nd pattern), were made only for the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe.
            For example: There´re, (officer´s), daggers of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe, (without the WL-acceptance mark), known, and they were´nt made for the Wehrmacht-Heer !

All in all, there´re many fighting knives of the WL and the WH left, but there´s really not much known regarding such German blank weapons ...

Best,

R.

Comment

Originally posted by FestungSpanien View Post

You the Man when it comes to fighting knives

Ace, thx. for the flowers, but, I´m only a collector, not ( ! ) an expert and I´m still learning !

I "made" a couple of years "in" bayonets but, believe me, it´s really very, very, interesting to collect trench knives and fighting knives, I love it !

Best,

R.

Comment

Count me in there too

Ace, thx. for the flowers, but, I´m only a collector, not ( ! ) an expert and I´m still learning !

I "made" a couple of years "in" bayonets but, believe me, it´s really very, very, interesting to collect trench knives and fighting knives, I love it !

Best,

R.

Comment

Thanks gents

Comment

Originally posted by Ohlau View Post
                    Thanks gents
                    You´re welcome !

BTW, checked some of my fighting knives and found a Wehrmacht tool-knife, stamped with the letter S upon the blade.

Comment

The mistery goes on and on then...
                      Glad we were able to help you, Ohlau!

Comment

One more time thanks Festung

Now this knife is mine - I already have one with Luftwaffe stamps (6), so now will have a brother

Comment

Its a good one for me

Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X