SS Dagger Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger Eagle

How difficult would it be to replace the eagle in an SS handle. I have a chance to buy a legit dagger but the eagle is messed up, if not for that the dagger would be a rating of excellent. I would buy the dagger if an eagle is available either thru the forum or maybe someone has knowledge if one could be purchased at the Max Show. Either way any ideas on a dagger eagle replacement.

I always say start out right, and forget fooling with stuff. Stick to things left alone, and wait for what you want rather than trying to make something out of junk.....but if you must persist here is the source.....but you will be sorry you didnt listen somedhttp://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com/catalogue/accout/hiltpommelsgripscrossguards/index.htmlay...but have at er.

Comment

IT'S more of a pain in the but than it's worth. at a minimum you'll destroy all the wood a round the eagle = trying to remove it. 60 + years of wood shrinkage. possibly crack the wood also.
      either way, you'll sell it at a loss , or end up buying a new handle , which might not fit.
      don't bother. jeff

Comment

How is the eagle "messed up"?

Comment

I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread, after considerable thoughts on this subject I am going to take the advice of those who are knowledgable and forego the purchase of this dagger. As I do currently not own an SS dagger and will probably only buy one and only one for my collection, I would like it to be a pristine as possible.

As for how is the eagle messed up. It lookes like someone took a buffer and tried to remove the eagles head, wreath, and swastica. The eagle has also been bent inwards at the chest towards the grip. The dent has caused the left wing to work itself away from the grip. Despite all of the above issues to the eagle the grip as is does not appear to be damaged. This is not normal wear and tear to the eagle as the grip in that area is virtually perfect. There are two very small chips of wood missing from the top of the eagle, it may be possible that someone tried to remove it in the past. As for the appearance of the eagle when looking at it, one is unable to distinquish any of the characteristics that it is an eagle other than in is a metal object with wings.

Once again thanks for everyones advice, I will heed the warnings, this type of advice is what this forum is all about.

Comment

Well I think that you are making a good decision here. But if the grip is not damaged then it may possible to drill the eagle out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X