TN Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TN Leader

This TN Dagger I bought from a Coca Cola Commercial Artist in my home town. He had written a book on Indian Banner Stones in the 1930s that became the bible for Indian relic collectors and he lived in NY at the end of the war working from there. He was going to gun shows of the period and saw that there was an interest in Nazi Daggers, so he made it a habit to meet the troop transports coming in from Europe and bought daggers on teh cheap. He had baskets of daggers at the time and traded them for the indian relics. He kept 3 daggers: an SA with an inscription on the crossguard: Treue un Treue Strum 2L (I also have this dagger), an Army dagger (both of these the most common ones he had seen in 1945) and this TN Leader (because it was the only one like this he had seen coming in from Europe). After I bought this dagger and was leaving, he said: "Do you wnat the straps that go with that dagger?" I said "yes" and he opened a drawer and handed me a set of Red Cross Leader Straps. You just never know!
    Attached Files

Teno!

Ron

Thanks for sharing the story on the history of this Teno Leader!

Its a amazing period when the hobby was just in its infancy and

how items were picked up.

Just think of the threads that could be started on the early days and the men who were involved in the hobby!

Many of us have heard some of the stories thru the years from the players of the time and seen it ourselves.

Its still possible to record for future collectors the stories!

Pictures and the internet have made it possible to share what some know
    but many don't!

Great job in giving many a glimpse to that window of time!

PVON

Comment

Paul,
      thanks so much for the kind words. I have considered doing this for years, but you always hear today: Buy the piece not the story. I have had this said to me so many times and always felt: Hey, this is the best part of the chase to me. Tallking with the old vets, running the backwoods and seeing the pieces in the original state in the vets hands is just the icing on the cake to me. its been great and, I am afraid, almost over. Now you deal with the children who don't know the story and want the moon for common stuff. It ain't the same anymore. Gone are the days of the $25.00 SA and Army.

Comment

Nice dagger, beautiful story. It is not easy to collect this number daggers. Condition of items is simply amazing. These items can decorate any museum!
        Best Den.

Comment

Teno Dagger

Thats one rare baby, in excellent condition. Its hard to believe they were traded so freely back in the late 40's. Ive never seen one in the flesh so to speak so thanks for posting.
          cheers Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X