Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k98 bayonet question

Hello everyone,
    I have a question regarding the bayonet frog for the K98. What branch of service used the frog with the cross strap? Is it service specific? what purpose did it serve? Here are examples I found with and without the cross strap. I thought I read that it was also called a cavalry style frog when it has the strap?? Thanks in advance for your input

PG-

with strap.......
    Attached Files

without strap

PG-
    Attached Files

Comment

Wartime regulations of January 25<sup>TH</sup> 1939 stated that the bayonet frog without the retaining strap was to be discontinued and replaced by the bayonet frog with the horizontal retaining strap for all personnel although the changeover was never completely achieved, so prewar frogs had the strap added later. You will find early frogs with and without the strap. I guess it was to keep it from flopping around during those wartime marches.
      Yes originally it was for mounted troops.
      You can usually tell if the strap was added later or during manufacturing.

Comment

Thanks Rick!

PG-

Comment

Rick, Sometimes when frogs were repaired, they might have had a strap added, but in my experience generally they were left alone. However, because I’ve seen so many exceptions, I do have an interest in the below statement. Was it an Army or OKW order?

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
          Wartime regulations of January 25<sup>TH</sup> 1939 stated that the bayonet frog without the retaining strap was to be discontinued and replaced by the bayonet frog with the horizontal retaining strap for all personnel although the changeover was never completely achieved ..........
          From what I think that I am seeing, the tie strap frog seen in posting # 1 is most likely a later one with a ‘bonderized’ (light zinc phosphate) finish to the rivets/washer. That more of this later issue type frog is seen, probably reflects the fact that there were more mobilized (vehicle borne) troops as time went on. Troops that were needed to keep up with the tanks etc. in mobilized warfare. (Also because of the ‘survival rate’ early vs late.)

With the lighting I can’t be sure, but if the frog in posting # 2 (with the aluminum rivets) is a dark brown, and is 1940 or earlier, it could be Luftwaffe. If so it should also have an “LBA” on the back somewhere. In posting # 3 with the copper rivets/brass washers, that is probably a fairly early 1930’s frog. Most tie strap frogs of that type were delivered in that configuration. And there are some later ones as well, but they seem to be less common. Regards to All, FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X