Any rapier experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any rapier experts here?

I know this is far from a TR blade but does anyone collect old swords here. This one looks like a late 18th century or more likely 19th century rapier or small sword (I'm not sure I can tell the difference). It has a 31 inch triangualar blade. It looks like a French type but I'm not sure. Anyone know about these?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Despite appearances this thing isn't exactly a true rapier, though it has some of the characteristics of one, like the pas d'anne which are the little rings between the grip/knucklebow and turned-down counterguard. Stylistically, it's more of a smallsword, or epee which was the type of sidearm worn by all gentlemen ( including, but not limited to, officers ) throughout the 18th century. Those rings were originally to put fingers through on an actual duelling rapier; but by the end of the century had devolved into mere ornaments, as here, too small or poorly-placed for their original purpose.

My greatest problem with this piece is the too-regular and machine-made appearance of both blade and the components of the hilt, suggesting more the middle of the 19th century. There was a time that all swords having this appearance were erroniously called "court swords" because of the fashion/custom that anyone appearing at the court of any European monarch was required to wear something like this; and therefore ANY small sword like this was ONLY a nobleman's dress sword and therefore NOT military. This is definitely WRONG; but most later military ones usually conform to some regulation pattern and have some indication of their nationality in the form of crests, monograms, cyphers, etc. on blade or hilt.

Of course, we can't see the inscriptions on the blade very well; you might look more closely there to see if there are any. But the style of machine etching is definitely more that of the 1850's or later. ( Ones from the 1700's and early 1800's were line engraved by hand, and are usually quite irregular. ) In the absence of further information or evidence, I would guess this probably IS a non-military "court sword" made in the earlier style and dating from the mid-1800's or later.
      Last edited by James N.; 07-24-2009, 04:03 PM. Reason: Add thought

Comment

Thank you James for this very complete explanation.

Comment

I had a further thought about your sword - are there any traces of any kind of applied FINISH remaining on the hilt? A sword as plain as this may well have been nickel-plated or silver washed to compensate for its lack of detail. Conversely, it also could have been blackened or blued for use as what's known as a "mourning sword", for wear at solemn formal occasions such as funerals. A "gentleman" might've owned several swords and/or sabers for use in different circumstances. For example, George Washington had at least 4: A short saber he wore while on horseback, including as Commander-in-Chief; a silver ( or silvered ) smallsword for formal occasions; a darkened mourning sword; and a Prussian-style heavy sabre given to him by an English or Scottish (!) admirer. ( He bequeathed these to as many of his favorite nephews in his will. )

If you can find any traces of finish it might tell you a little more. It's also worth remembering that these types of "court sword" ( if that's what it really is ) are STILL worn for various functions! I'm pretty sure some of the Queen's attendants and footmen wear them in ultra-formal dress functions.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X